• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OS Commerce newbie seeks feedback

DefMall Owner

Hi, all.

I've been working on my site for about 6 weeks, and I think I've worked up enough courage to ask your feedback.

The URL is www.DefMall.com

Let me share with you 2 errors I am already aware of (and I am fixing) so that you can work on tearing into the rest of it:

1) I know my Home Page is somewhat oversized. We're trying to re-size it.

2) I know there are 2 'Logos' at the bottom of my pages. I'm working on getting rid of 1.

(I don't want to bore you with the details as to why these 2 problems haven't been solved yet...)

Speaking of Home Page, We built a custom home page, so you won't see the 'Powered by OSCommerce' at the bottom until you click on any of the icons that take you into the store.

Other than that, I'm at your mercy.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look at it.

Jeff Eskow

www.DefMall.com

First off, lets have a clickable link to make it easier. Here's one I made earlier:

http://defmall.netfirms.com/

Ok, I wouldn't go with a freehost. Paid hosting is so cheap nowadays and far more extensible, I just don't see the point of freehosting. I also think defmall.com looks more professional than defmall.netfirms.com and you can have sub-domains for your forum etc. This is just my personal opinion.

You haven't really done anything to your store other than change the gray colour scheme for purple. Which looks ok but nothing to warrant loads of praise or comments.

What you have added - all your graphics - looks, sorry to say, amateurish. On the splash page, the "Welcome to the Mall....." one is barely readable. You would be far better off to use the colours as background colours and print text on top of them. There isn't anything on the splash page for bots to read.

You need a thumbnail mod because the store takes too long to load. I closed the diva section because it took so long.

You'll need to spend some time developing your store before you get any positive feedback but good luck with it.

Spax -

thanks for taking the time to look it over.

I appreciate your feedback and am working on implementing your ideas.

I noticed 68 views on this thread, but ony 1 piece of feedback!

Come on everyone! Feel free to share! :lol:

I am not even going to go further than the splash page. I realize the sizing issue, not a problem. But none of your links make sense - I cause I'm not in the "scene", I have no clue what any of the jargon is. I would just ditch the splash page - non-professional, is fuzzy, and doesn't do anything for your image.

I am not even going to go further than the splash page. I realize the sizing issue, not a problem. But none of your links make sense - I cause I'm not in the "scene", I have no clue what any of the jargon is. I would just ditch the splash page - non-professional, is fuzzy, and doesn't do anything for your image.

I agree about the splash page dump it.

You site is slow. Netfirms is a bad host. You get what you pay for.

No contact information on the site. Always nice to see an address to know you are dealing with someone real.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

The front page definitely needs some work! Could you not resiize the images you are using and at the same time make them a little tidier - some of them look fuzzy.

Once you get into the shop, the layout is pretty stock OSC and the product images need work - have a look at the way you have them setup in admin/configuration/images.

HTH

Tim

"Shop like a hip-hop playa?!?!?!?!" LOL! omg that's halarious. What are u, 5?

I agree. Regardless of opinions, hip hoppers are an astute bunch who can tell when their culture is being exploited. As a person who's been down with hip hop since it's inception, I'm always offended by those leeching onto the culture with no understanding of what it is we're about.

If you are into hip hop culture, you should know better. If you're not, stop trying to be "down", and just call it something to the effect of "hip hop shopping".

My Contribution

Music Download Store Template

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4275

You definitely need to work on the images, they are stretched.

Your splash page is just confusing as it seems almost all links go to the same shop, just different categories?

Why don't you get more feedback? When I read the first comment, I usually know what I'm going to see. Why should I waste my time to look at a stock osC where the only change is the products and the "colour scheme"?

You're trying to get the attention of the "scene" but absolutely nothing is what I expect to be "hip" or "hop" or whatever. It just looks amateurish.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

It just looks very random to me, as if each page was made/designed(term used lightly) by a different person.

Try to give it some cohesion and consistency.

Archived