• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Googlebot Visits

Jodoi

Hi all,

I began putting my site together on the 8th of last month, and since the 17th, Googlebot has shown on average 1 hit per day.

Since Saturday just gone, however, hits have gone up. Yesterday their were 48 hits and 1.11mb transferred and I have been around all day today and noticed a lot of visits again and have noticed the bot on product pages. Up to this point I've only had the main page indexed, but could this mean my product pages are about to go up too?

I don't really have a clue as to how bots work, so I am having trouble understanding all these separate visits!!

Thanks,

Brent

Same here but none of my pages are listed on google yet. Yahoo is also a constant guest but there my pages are listed. at least a few. and even those are changing all the time.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Same here but none of my pages are listed on google yet. Yahoo is also a constant guest but there my pages are listed. at least a few. and even those are changing all the time.

abra

Well, I wasn't sure if there was some correlation with installing Ultimate SEO just before the weekend. Is it possible that this helped the bot find it's way through my site, or is it just coincidence?

I checked for my site listed on Yahoo after you mentioned it, but I can't even find my index page! Then again, I haven't specifically added it, so that probably explains it.

I installed the ultimate SEO and the google sitemap. Both yahoo and google were on my domain.com/index.html page before so I'm not sure if they just came back routinely and started crawling once the shop was linked to the web. At the moment I'm just adding products, just image, price and attributes. I'm selling foodstuffs that are known to my customers so the descriptions will follow in the next step as I need a large number of products on offer first. I think that's what google doesn't like because there is hardly any text yet.

Ah well, let them crawl... as long as they come back, that's fine with me.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

abra

abra,

I've just submitted to the free Yahoo directory, was just wondering how much of your traffic you are getting from them with them listing more of your products as opposed to Google.

Regards,

Brent.

Jodoi, here in the UK google totaly dominates the search market.

I am doing well on Yahoo and MSN but struggling with google. I am in the top ten on MSN for 5/6 of my keywords. Now if MSN was used as much as google is in the UK I think Id be looking at Porches on autotrader by now.

I get more traffic and sales from being 12th on google than I do from being number 2 on MSN. By the time MSN become more popular when this new version of windows with intergrated MSN search comes out. They will probably have changed there algo and I'll be no where on that too.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, heres an update.....

Googlebot is still visiting every day and going through my product pages. Today it spent over 35 minutes on my site and I watched it going through products again (urging it on all the while! :D )

Still no more pages than my main page indexed though!!

So my question(s) now is this.......

Why does Googlebot continue to come back day after day and go through my products if it sees something that makes it not want to list me?

Why does it bother with me?

Hope someone can shed a little light on this for me 'cause I'm at a loss.

I think, Google is NOT visiting the same product daily, am I right ?

So, next question would be :

Do you have submitted a sitemap to Google (manually or by contribution) ?

If yes, Google is visiting product by product as shown in the sitemap.

This is happening to my site as well these days.

But nothing I am worrying about :-)

If Google is visiting the same product daily AND you have submitted a sitemap to Google, perhaps you have stated there, that changes to your products are made daily.

For this 'update frequency', there is a special field in the XML file, where you can say, update daily, update weekly etc.

But why are you worrying at all ? Google is indexing your site. This is good, congratulations.

It may take some time, if the indexed pages are shown at the search results, but well, Google is working on it.

Or have I missed something ?

Regards

Andreas

Just checked again because I noticed someone arriving direct to a product page!

Lo and behold I now have 53 pages listed! To say I'm chuffed is an understatement. Checked a couple of my products on searches and they came up on the first page!

Do you think now is a good time to install Google Sitemap or could I risk losing what I've gained?

Thanks

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the replys.

I think it's about time to install Google Sitemap then...although was meaning to do it weeks ago :rolleyes:

I checked through my listed products and my most important one, the one that I would like to concentrate on most, is a custom PC build listed as a product. When I checked the listing ranking for this, it wasn't on any of the first five pages and it is my priority now to improve this.

I have Ultimate SEO installed and I think I need to change the "page name" of this custom build product to include the keywords that I found most successfull when I was running Adwords (stopped it 4 days ago because I wasn't getting any sales)

The product name (and therefore page name via SEO) is "Build Your Ideal System" (I believe I've called it something which most people wouldn't use as search terms. "Ideal" is a waste of a word, "System" could mean anything besides a PC. Would you agree?), but the Adwords keywords I got most clicks from were "Custom PC". i know these keywords are VERY competitive, but if I change the product name to "Build Your Ideal Custom PC", I would logically (to my mind anyway) get more hits from that.

Am I on the right track with this thinking, or way out. Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brent.

Hm, dont know exactly.

I dont have Ultimate SEO installed. The search engines can also handle "normal" php-URLs, if the additional parameters are less the three.

I have only an updated spiders.txt, so that the spiders dont get a session id and a robots.txt, which handles the rest (cookie_usage....).

So I cant say anything about Ultimate SEO.

I additionally installed the HeaderTag Controller.

To your question regarding the change of keywords:

I slightly remember, that I read somewhere, that Google is not so keen on Keywords, other search engine like Yahoo like them.

If this is correct (perhaps you should quickly search for "Google keywords meta" to proof this), the change of the meta information is not so important (for Google).

I only have filled the meta tags for the title with my product names and the meta tags for description with the product description.

In the product description should be enough information about it.

Correct me, if I'm wrong.

What can help you, is a keyword checker. You mentioned Google adwords.

Go to the adwords site, take a ride through the tour, I remember, that there is a small checker tool, that quickly runs through some of your pages and gives you a quick overview about keywords.

But anyway, I think the same way that "system" is too wide for the branche PC, "Build Your Ideal Custom PC" should do better.

Regards

Andreas

Another question:

Why you stopped the adwords campaign?

Only because your dont getting sales ?

How long was the campaign running? Didnt it take some time?

Regards

I stopped Adwords after 3 and a 1/2 weeks. Not long I know but I just don't have the budget to do it at the moment. My limit was a miserly ?1 per day, and although I was getting on the first page quite regularly, my budget wasn't high enough to show my ad enough. These are my results for that time:

Custom PC (search keywords)

2,577 impressions, 120 clicks, (click-thru ratio of 4.65%)

I did use other keywords as well, but the above was the best performing.

On that budget (?30 month) the ad was only served on about 16% of the searches performed which I think was my downfall. I just can't afford the money at the moment because those search keywords are too competitive.

Now that I have products listed on Google I am getting as many hits per day as I did form Adwords (only about 11, but I've only had listings for 2 days).

I am struggling to get the Froogle Feed contribution working at the moment. I might have to submit it manually, but if that's what it takes....

Regards,

Brent.

Archived