• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Auto digital downloads

Bharat

I am exploring the possibility of using OSC to automate delivery of digital downloads directly to the desktop similar to the iTunes methodology.

We have a desktop product which subscribes to XML catalogues and the next stage would be seamless integration into OSC so the user can construct a cart off line and only log in to pay and the software should automatically download and install the digital products.

My feeling is that it should not be too far out and I have been through the Mods and other threads, but really could do with pointers and ideas so that I can put together requirements.

Here is an outline of what I think I need (and where I am stuck!):

1. I publish a price list to both OSC and the software (Easy populate would be a candidate for this)

2. Software compiles local (offline) cart

3. Assume that non-embedded browser is used - Software launches default browser and logs on to OSC (Auto logon could be used)

4. Software uploads cart and confirms price list (1st time = sets up account as normal)

5. OSC books payment and if OK generates the download links

6. Software captures links and installs the digital download.

Now here are some of the issues I need help on

3. As OSC is not used for product selection, the screens would be bare bones without most of the ?includes?. Logon would probably be direct to login.php (no need for index.php)

4. Issues / ideas on easiest way to exchange/match the two data sets (assume that software can generate csv; xml ?. Whatever is easiest)

5.1 Only one user intervention now before purchase = ?Please confirm order?

5.2 How do I jump straight to an account/account history page? I suspect a modified page is required which just lists all orders and links.

5.3 How do I download this list with links? Would be great if an xml file was generated for capture ? else screen scrape (which would require display of full link I suspect)

6. Once the software has the links, the download and install capability is already functional.

Overall, I think simple is best ? so would prefer cut down version of OSC with minimal re-coding. We also work on a distributed computing principle, so let the software do all the hard work and OSC simply delivers.

Really appreciate any pointers help etc .....

Bharat

PS I am not a techie ... just an ideas guy

I am exploring the possibility of using OSC to automate delivery of digital downloads directly to the desktop similar to the iTunes methodology.

Bharat

PS I am not a techie ... just an ideas guy

Bharat let me ask you a question...

In your opinion, how does unattended digital download work when using OSC?

Doctor Mason, World's #1 "Temporary Webmaster"

Bharat let me ask you a question...

In your opinion, how does unattended digital download work when using OSC?

I see where your concern lies: someone can type on the browser "http://www.yourstore.com/catalog/downloads" and see the whole list of stuff that is there, ready to be snatched away.

The solution is very simple. first name all your digital items with a set 5 or 6 unique no sequencial numbers at the end of each file name (that way they don't follow a particular order). Than create a page with your logo or something that says "You do not hape permission to access this area" followed by a link to the main page on your site. Call this page index.htm or index.html or index.php and drop this page on the /download/ directory. Problem solved.

Jayme

Archived