• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

missing orders, but have paypal payment

eilonwy

Hi. We just launched our site this week (www.oaklandish.com/shop), and all is going well so far except that we have had two PayPal payments without corresponding order records.

Both of these customers have accounts, and I can't find any orders from admin under their customer records. Since our order numbers are sequential, and there are no gaps, it does not seem that there are records that we just somehow cannot see from admin.

We do not have PayPal IPN installed at this time (we will do that in the next few days), so we have no item information from the PayPal payment notification. We've asked the customers to tell us what they ordered so that we can ship the orders, so that's not an issue, but we should fix the problem nonetheless. The two customers affected do not remember having seen or done anything out of the ordinary while shopping.

We do have PWA installled, but I'm not sure how this would create the problem, since the two affected customers did not utilize guest login. I've looked through the forums and turned on the cache as some have suggested. We do have several order statuses, with pending as default, so that is not the issue. Please help, thanks.

First, I would suggest turning off the cache unless you're on your own dedicated server (unlikely). You can easily end up with somebody else's categories showing on your page w/ caching turned on.

The stock (included) paypal module will let this happen (no order info) if the customer does not push the "return to merchant" button when they are done paying. Since they don't have to, most won't...so the order is not captured on your end.

Paypal IPN will fix it.

Hi. We just launched our site this week (www.oaklandish.com/shop), and all is going well so far except that we have had two PayPal payments without corresponding order records.

Both of these customers have accounts, and I can't find any orders from admin under their customer records. Since our order numbers are sequential, and there are no gaps, it does not seem that there are records that we just somehow cannot see from admin.

We do not have PayPal IPN installed at this time (we will do that in the next few days), so we have no item information from the PayPal payment notification. We've asked the customers to tell us what they ordered so that we can ship the orders, so that's not an issue, but we should fix the problem nonetheless. The two customers affected do not remember having seen or done anything out of the ordinary while shopping.

We do have PWA installled, but I'm not sure how this would create the problem, since the two affected customers did not utilize guest login. I've looked through the forums and turned on the cache as some have suggested. We do have several order statuses, with pending as default, so that is not the issue. Please help, thanks.

If you are using the basic paypal module, log in to your paypal account, and somewhere you will find a return url. Set this to your stores checkout_confirmation.php page, and all should be well. The only trouble is that i cannot be bothered to login to my account to find out where exactly you do this. I do know its in your profile, and in the far right hand column.

All the best.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Hi

I was having the same problem and the Paypal IPN add-on fixed it. However, it is still ambiguous to the user so expect that most will not return to your site. You will just have to compare the amount charged on the paypal site and see than it matches your pending order in the osc cart.

I am attempting to make this a little better by changing the button from "Return to Merchant" to "Continue in order to Process your Payment" or some such verbiage.

According to paypal - the 'cbt' variable can be added (or edited?) in order to change this.

Can someone pls help in finding where the form checkout_confirmation code is located? I thougt it was in

includes/languages/english/modules/payment - or -

includes/languages/english/checkout_confirmation.php

but I can not find it as of yet.

PS - I did not find that the return URL helped any

Thanks, I've turned off the cache at your suggestion.

We had auto-return turned on on PayPal. Once the payment process has been completed on PayPal's site, the customer (after a couple seconds) gets dumped back at checkout_success.php where they get a thank you message. Are you saying that even with auto-return on, if the customer closes the browser window before checkout_success.php loads, that the order info will not be committed to the db?

I'll start working on getting PayPal IPN up. Thanks for your help.

- angela

The correct return url is checkout_process.php. You are correct - with the default Pay Pal module (and also with the IPN module) if the customer closes the Pay Pal window before the auto-return kicks in then they don't get returned to your site and the order does not get updated. The main advantage of the osCommerce Pay Pal IPN is that if that happens then at least you have a record of the order. There are also many disadvantages to using it (here are just two):

1. Doesn't work with Register Globals set to 'off' in php.ini

2. It duplicates part of checkout_process - so if you install a contribution which affects checkout_process then you also have to modify the osCommerce Pay Pal IPN.

Vger

Thanks, Vger.

I've updated my PayPal profile so that the return url is http://www.oaklandish.com/shop/checkout_process.php.

Is there a contrib that updates the order before the customer completes PayPal payment, or would this even be desirable? Maybe it could set it to a Pending PayPal status and then checkout_process.php could update it to Processing once payment has been submitted.

Once I get PayPal IPN working, I'll be able to see the cart contents from the PayPal notification, but these orders will need to be handled outside the system -- the customer will not be able to check online order status, or get email updates. Is there a solution for this? Thanks.

- angela

Thanks Vger,

but what about:

I am attempting to make this a little better by changing the button from "Return to Merchant" to "Continue in order to Process your Payment" or some such verbiage.

According to paypal - the 'cbt' variable can be added (or edited?) in order to change this.

Can someone pls help in finding where the form checkout_confirmation code is located? I thougt it was in

includes/languages/english/modules/payment - or -

includes/languages/english/checkout_confirmation.php

this seems like a relatively easy fix if I can just find the code ...

The correct return url is checkout_process.php. You are correct - with the default Pay Pal module (and also with the IPN module) if the customer closes the Pay Pal window before the auto-return kicks in then they don't get returned to your site and the order does not get updated. The main advantage of the osCommerce Pay Pal IPN is that if that happens then at least you have a record of the order. There are also many disadvantages to using it (here are just two):

1. Doesn't work with Register Globals set to 'off' in php.ini

2. It duplicates part of checkout_process - so if you install a contribution which affects checkout_process then you also have to modify the osCommerce Pay Pal IPN.

Vger

Archived