• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Am I okay with no PHP knowledge?

jpweber

My situation:

Hello all. I must put a simple E-Commerce shopping cart up on my website. I already secured a subdomain for it. I have a pretty good knowledge of html, and a limited knowledge of ASP. Most of what I've learned in ASP has been from copying free source codes from others and modifying it, and as a result, I've worked with MS Access databases. But I've done nothing in PHP as of yet.

What I've been told:

I've heard of Comersus, so I downloaded that, and I've downloaded nopdesign.com's free shopping cart. Now, new google searches have all told me that OSCcommerce is the best, hands-down. I've read through the website, and it seems really confusing, but that's to be expected at first. I've now downloaded the OSCCommerce cart as well as the documentation.

What I'm hoping for:

So I guess I'm really hoping for direction as to if I'm on the right path or not. Is OSCCommerce indeed the best? Even for someone who's never worked with PHP? Will I get the hang of everything since I already know HTML, and how to manipulate codes in Notepad, Frontpage, and such? Can I do this if I download the cart and follow the instructions on the documentation? Is that all I need to do?

Thank you (in advance) for anyone who's knowledgeable enough and kind enough to respond to my concerns,

Jason (33 y/o, from suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA)

Jason

Simple 1-2-3 Intructions on how to get, install and configure SSL

The Google Sandbox explained

Simple to follow instructions on how to change the look of your OSC

How To Make A Horrible OSC Website

my toolbox: All things WordPress-related - All things Adobe-related - PHP Designer 2007 - Codecanyon Junkie - Crimson Editor - Winmerge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP

my installed contributions: Category Banners, File Upload feature-.77, Header Tags, Sort_Product_Attributes_1, XSellv2.3, Price Break 1.11.2, wishlist 3.5, rollover_category_images_v1.2, Short_Description_v2.1, UPSXML_v1_2_3, quickbooks qbi_v2_10, allprods v4.4, Mouseover-effect for image-buttons 1.0, Ultimate_SEO, AAP 1.41, Auto Select State Value, Fast Easy Checkout, Dynamic SiteMap v2.0, Image Magic, Links Manager 1.14, Featured Products, Customer Testimonials, Article Manager, FAQ System, and I'm sure more ...

My situation:

Hello all. I must put a simple E-Commerce shopping cart up on my website. I already secured a subdomain for it. I have a pretty good knowledge of html, and a limited knowledge of ASP. Most of what I've learned in ASP has been from copying free source codes from others and modifying it, and as a result, I've worked with MS Access databases. But I've done nothing in PHP as of yet.

What I've been told:

I've heard of Comersus, so I downloaded that, and I've downloaded nopdesign.com's free shopping cart. Now, new google searches have all told me that OSCcommerce is the best, hands-down. I've read through the website, and it seems really confusing, but that's to be expected at first. I've now downloaded the OSCCommerce cart as well as the documentation.

What I'm hoping for:

So I guess I'm really hoping for direction as to if I'm on the right path or not. Is OSCCommerce indeed the best? Even for someone who's never worked with PHP? Will I get the hang of everything since I already know HTML, and how to manipulate codes in Notepad, Frontpage, and such? Can I do this if I download the cart and follow the instructions on the documentation? Is that all I need to do?

Thank you (in advance) for anyone who's knowledgeable enough and kind enough to respond to my concerns,

Jason (33 y/o, from suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA)

As long as you have the time and the patience, you'll be fine. I came to oscommerce with no php background, in fact I had no knowledge of any codes except for HTML (which does help). The forums are a great resource, you can almost guarentee that some-one else has had whatever problem you are having, and there is a solution is here somewhere, you just have to find it. I've found the best way to learn php and learn how to do things is just to jump in and have a go. You'll know if you want to work with oscommerce after playing around with the settings for an hour or so.

As for whether it's the best--> I spent a long time researching what solution to use, and ended up going with osCommerce. My major worry was that I wouldn't be able to keep a store running on it, due to my inexperience with php, but (I'm still in the development stage) I haven't managed to 'break' it yet! In the end, it was the fact that osCommerce is so incredibly adaptable that made me choose it, and I'm glad I did.

Good Luck

~bobsi18~

I, too, came into OsC with no prior php or other advanced script knowledge.

There is a thread in the Tips and Tricks forum here that covers the basics of design for the cart - tells you the basic files you defiantely need to get into ... the rest depends on how detailed you want your cart designed.

Live here at the forum - best advice.

I, too, came into OsC with no prior php or other advanced script knowledge.

There is a thread in the Tips and Tricks forum here that covers the basics of design for the cart - tells you the basic files you defiantely need to get into ... the rest depends on how detailed you want your cart designed.

Live here at the forum - best advice.

same for me also, only know basic html.im lm lucky my host has an auto installer for os. check out my site www.sherryyu.com did that with os

Thank you all for your kind words of advice. And Grut, very nice on Sherryyu.com. I think I'll just have to study code and tinker with things, and yes, live here at the forum. I just posted this question not too long ago, and I already have 4 helpful responses. This forum seems great to me so far. Thank you all for your help,

Jason

Jason

Simple 1-2-3 Intructions on how to get, install and configure SSL

The Google Sandbox explained

Simple to follow instructions on how to change the look of your OSC

How To Make A Horrible OSC Website

my toolbox: All things WordPress-related - All things Adobe-related - PHP Designer 2007 - Codecanyon Junkie - Crimson Editor - Winmerge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP

my installed contributions: Category Banners, File Upload feature-.77, Header Tags, Sort_Product_Attributes_1, XSellv2.3, Price Break 1.11.2, wishlist 3.5, rollover_category_images_v1.2, Short_Description_v2.1, UPSXML_v1_2_3, quickbooks qbi_v2_10, allprods v4.4, Mouseover-effect for image-buttons 1.0, Ultimate_SEO, AAP 1.41, Auto Select State Value, Fast Easy Checkout, Dynamic SiteMap v2.0, Image Magic, Links Manager 1.14, Featured Products, Customer Testimonials, Article Manager, FAQ System, and I'm sure more ...

Archived