• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

first site but is it any good?

jn1611

Hi,

I have recently been building my first oscommerce site for a business a friend and I were setting up but now have decided that it will not be worth our time. I am quite proud of what I acheived with just 3 days, not exactly non-stop, work.

You can take a look for a time http://tinydog.streamlinenettrial.co.uk/index.php but don't go throught the checkout with the trial items as it is linked to a live paypal account.

What do people think? I have used a few tipes from contributions but never really used any whole, but did a lot of going through code and learning what bits did by changing them. I have a little and I mean little experience at C, C++ and HTML, completely new to PHP though. I'll have a look through the code when I get some time and see if I can contribute any back.

Julian.

Your design is nice and clean. Did you use a template?

Are you planning on finishing it?

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

No template, I just installed the latest oscommerce release onto the server and got to work.

All images are mine. It took a lot of trial and error to learn how the code worked but I think I have it figured out by now. Just a shame that the answer to the next question is no, I won't be finishing it as there is no need for me. Wish I could but hopefully I can use it sometime in the future.

The design is good but as there aren't any items to add to the cart (the link don't work yet), it is a bit difficult to give a proper review.

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

I've added products into each catergory now. They are all just taken from the John Lewis website but as this is just for demonstration that's fine.

A couple of things still not perfect, the bedroom category link doesn't work when in the kitchen category which is very strange. The picture of the basket in the shopping basket box dissappears when a product is added.

I'm sure there are a few other little things wrong with it too. Don't spend too much time giving it a review, I had just spent loads of time workign on it and wanted somebody to actually see it :)

Also I see plenty of oscommerce shops with the normal default text menus with maybe a colour change. This is fine in some cases but just wanted to give people an idea of something that could be done.

Thanks,

Julian.

and just to add the site was aimed at students moving to university so we wanted something a bit clean, different and 'funky'. there were going to be a few more interesting things put on, so maybe some adds or interesting articles/interactive features.

I really like it even though the links dont work, it is so not oscommerce. I think most of your time went into the images, did you design them in photoshop?

I havent mastered tracking my posts, If you dont hear back from me its because I couldnt find my original post not because Im ungrateful

nice looking site, just a small pointer - im using i.e on a standard setup - the category links, i can only actually click the tiny space between the image and the text - the rest of it isn't clickable, which would annoy the hell out of me if it were a live site. Otherwise, very nice - have you considered freelancing for graphics or cobbling together some templates for an income stream..just an idea, but if you did that in three days including messing with code, if you just spent your time on the graphics side of things it could be very lucrative - at least judging by my own reaction to them and those posted above.

just a small pointer - im using i.e on a standard setup - the category links, i can only actually click the tiny space between the image and the text - the rest of it isn't clickable

That is very odd. I have been using firefox and checking with I.E. every so often and just checked it now and the links are as you describe them. I really don't understand that. Thanks for pointing it out, I ;ll have a look into it. But just not right now :blush:

Otherwise, very nice - have you considered freelancing for graphics or cobbling together some templates for an income stream..just an idea, but if you did that in three days including messing with code, if you just spent your time on the graphics side of things it could be very lucrative - at least judging by my own reaction to them and those posted above.

I thought about doing something like this but I wasn't sure how best to go about it. I saw there are quite a few sites which are basically just template referral stores and I thought about setting up one of those and then adding my own templates to the site but I wasn't sure how much business I would get doing it like that. I think I may look at setting it up just selling my own and see how it goes.

Thanks for the positive feedback :thumbsup:

Archived