• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help needed modifying the Breadcrumb?

Trout69

Hi All,

I've been searching for months to find out how i can amend the breadcrumb trail to what i want. i found a site that has something i like here, can anyone please start to point me in the direction of achieving this so i can incorporate it into the next release of my store.

Best Regards

Donna

Sorry, I must be blind but I can't see a breadcrumb trail on this site when selecting some subcategory etc.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Sorry, I must be blind but I can't see a breadcrumb trail on this site when selecting some subcategory etc.

abra

Hi there, its the graphic thats in use instead of the breadcrumb, and has links on it.

Regards

Donna

Guess I'm really blind. Only thing is the header navigation that has the links but they don't change when you go deeper into the catalog.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Guess I'm really blind. Only thing is the header navigation that has the links but they don't change when you go deeper into the catalog.

abra

Thats what i mean...the slver/grey bar that has the links in it instead of the breadcrumb - i want something similar to that rather than the standard breadcrumb, and i haven't a clue where to start to code it in?

Regards

Donna

I have something similar on my site. I changed /catalog/includes/header.php

Where you have the links for account, shopping cart and checkout, I added this:

<div id="nav_tabs"> <?php //navigation tabs ?>
	<ul id="tabs">
	  <li <?php echo $class_home ?>><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, '', 'SSL'); ?>"><?php echo TOP_NAV_HOME; ?></a></li>
	  <li <?php echo $class_products ?>><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_NEW, '', 'SSL'); ?>"><?php echo TOP_NAV_PRODUCTS; ?></a></li>
	  <li <?php echo $class_search ?>><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH, '', 'SSL'); ?>"><?php echo TOP_NAV_SEARCH; ?></a></li>		  
	  <li <?php echo $class_account ?>>

<?php		  if (tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) { 
		  //customer is logged in
?>		  <a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'); ?>"><?php echo TOP_NAV_ACCOUNT; ?></a> <?php
} else { ?>
	  <a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL'); ?>">Login</a>
<?php } ?>
</li>
	  <li <?php echo $class_infodesk ?>><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONTACT_US, '', 'SSL'); ?>"><?php echo TOP_NAV_INFODESK; ?></a></li>
	  <li <?php echo $class_checkout ?>><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART); ?>"><?php echo TOP_NAV_CHECKOUT; ?></a></li>
	</ul>
</div> <?php //navigation tabs ?>

This goes together with some css:

div#nav_tabs {
  margin: 0;
  clear: both;
}

ul#tabs {
  list-style: none;
  padding-left: 22px;
}

ul#tabs li {
  float: left;
  text-align: center;
  width: 121px;
  height: 36px;
  color: transparent;
}

ul#tabs li a {
  display: block;
  font-size: 18px;
  font-weight: bold;
  text-decoration: none;
  height: 30px;
  padding: 6px 11px 0px 3px;
  vertical-align: middle;
}

ul#tabs li a:hover {
  text-decoration: underline;
}

ul#tabs li#home_grey {
  background: url(http://www.finefoods24.com/catalog/images/new/grey_121x36.gif) no-repeat top left;
}

ul#tabs li#home_yellow {
  background: url(http://www.finefoods24.com/catalog/images/new/yellow_121x36.gif) no-repeat top left;
}

and some more for the other tabs. There are definitely other solutions (like using graphics only) but I prefer the background version and displaying the text on top of it. It's much easier to change. Hope it gives you an idea of how it can be done.

abra

I forgot to add that I my tabs change color depending on which page you are on. This is also checked in header.php and results the $class_home to be either grey or the assigned colour or whatever I determinded it to look like when you hover over it.

abra

I forgot to add that I my tabs change color depending on which page you are on. This is also checked in header.php and results the $class_home to be either grey or the assigned colour or whatever I determinded it to look like when you hover over it.

abra

Thanks Abra, i'll look into it now...

All the best

Donna

Archived