• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help Yahoo bot geting session ID

None of the other bots that visit my site have a problem with session ids. But checking site: in yahoo it has loads of pages with session ID's. Strange because in whos online it never shows the Yahoo bot with session ID's.

Anyone know whats going wrong?

Can someone check there spiders.txt (not to be mistaken with robots.txt) for any mention of Yahoo?

Thanks

Yahoo is a complete mess.

I never had good indexing on them, maybe 100 pages at most. Then I decided to create a site map in an attempt to remedy this. That very day they totally dropped my site from their index. I took it as a positive sign figuring it meant they were getting ready to reindex my site fully. I was wrong! Since then over 2 months they have indexed 150 pages out of about 400 BUT they also picked up a TON of pages with session ID's as you mentioned. I have spider sessions disabled and all robots but Yahoo obey this. Thankfully the session ID links they now display have no titles or descriptions so people are unlikely to ever see them.

Besides Google (now that is a whole other nightmare) they are the worst search engine at getting your site indexed, at least in my experience.

I too would like to know why they are indexing pages with session ID's, and at least in my case it is something like 1 out of every 25-50 pages that this occurs with.

So Im not the only one with yahoo session id problems then?

Is it not a problem on my side but a problem with yahoo bot?

I can say with certainty, at least in my case that Yahoo bot is breaking the rules through no fault of my own.

Archived