• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Transferring database records

flapJack

Hi all.

I am setting up an osCommerce site firstly on a server on my desktop to test all modifications.

I am only starting out with server side languages and databases, hence the dumb question.

Is it possible to transfer the data added to mysql during the inclusion of products or will I have to redo all the input on the final wrking site?

I am also thinking that it would also be useful in keeping a full mirror site on localhost by uploading the dat back later.

Thanks for your time.

Hi all.

I am setting up an osCommerce site firstly on a server on my desktop to test all modifications.

I am only starting out with server side languages and databases, hence the dumb question.

Is it possible to transfer the data added to mysql during the inclusion of products or will I have to redo all the input on the final wrking site?

I am also thinking that it would also be useful in keeping a full mirror site on localhost by uploading the dat back later.

Thanks for your time.

You can do this quite easily. First backup your database via the backup tool in the "tools" section of the admin area. Then create your site on the localhost and use the backup of your database to create a fuctioning copy on your local host installation.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Thanks for that.

Should have known it was that easy.

So, if I want to update the database on the mirror site from time to time, I guess it would be easiest to delete the old database and re-enter the updated version.

Archived