• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

"Default Page problems"

plztalk2me

I am a newbe and I know this is basic, but im having problems with my default page. The first time I changed the text "this is the default page..." to my own text I was left with a blank page. I have combed the site for similar problems to this with no luck. Although I reinstalled it I took the opportunity to load one of the templates I found here and ended up with this www.macmercials.co.uk , all my products and categories are still in the back end but links to them dont work, I just want to know what Im doing wrong. Also if I do need to know a little programming to make changes are there any books or text anyone can recommend in addition to the Oscommerce guide. Many Thanks

I havent mastered tracking my posts, If you dont hear back from me its because I couldnt find my original post not because Im ungrateful

Hi Crystal,

no idea about your problem right now but I can recommend you http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp as a good starting point to learn about HTML, PHP, CSS, mySQL and the lot. They have a nice tool where you can try out some examples which you can modify to see I something you want to implement works.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Maybe you could start looking for your configure files in catalog/includes/ and admin to see if the settings are correct.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Ok thanks, I was hoping I would be able to get away with not knowing programming which I detest! :(

I havent mastered tracking my posts, If you dont hear back from me its because I couldnt find my original post not because Im ungrateful

Most of the customization of osC is modifying the language files (basic html needed for layout), changing colours (CSS needed for stylesheet.css) and adding products (here mySQL admin tool helpful as well as some mySQL knowledge).

If you want to add some more features from the contributions section it definitely helps if you got some idea of what you are about to change. Saves you a lot of time when the install doesn't work as expected and you have to search for the error (usually something missing or too much in the php or html code).

So maybe the starting chapters on the website mentioned can give you an insight into at least how php, css and html look like and interact with each other.

abra

I am a newbe and I know this is basic, but im having problems with my default page. The first time I changed the text "this is the default page..." to my own text I was left with a blank page. I have combed the site for similar problems to this with no luck. Although I reinstalled it I took the opportunity to load one of the templates I found here and ended up with this www.macmercials.co.uk , all my products and categories are still in the back end but links to them dont work, I just want to know what Im doing wrong. Also if I do need to know a little programming to make changes are there any books or text anyone can recommend in addition to the Oscommerce guide. Many Thanks

Most of the time when you get a blank page after editing a language file it is caused by uploading the file to the wrong location. For example if you edited your

catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php file and then uploaded it to your

catalog/index.php location.

To edit the text on your site you really are not reguired to know html, you just need to be careful of where you upload your files and that when replacing text you do not remove any needed code and replace only the text.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

thanks Richard, when I loaded the new template its possible that happened but since my development site is online I just have to open the editor make changes and save the file which I did when I got the blank screen. I did read on the forum about how php interpretes apostrophes and as I had no knowledge of how to treat some of this, that may have been the problem.

Although I wasnt going to do this but I did check out the site that Ulrike gave me when he reinforced it in his second message and the 'try it now' practicals seem good. Its not the intensive programming I know about. I think I will devote the extra time into learning some code if I do want my site to look a little different from the original Oscommerce.

Thanks again.

now I know it is definitely not my coding! I followed the coding steps below meticulously and ended up without a defaut page again!!! see http://restaurant.macmercials.co.uk/catalog/default.php

In catalog/includes/classes/currencies.php I changed:

function display_price($products_price, $products_tax, $quantity = 1) {

return $this->format(tep_add_tax($products_price, $products_tax) * $quantity);

To:

function display_price($products_price, $products_tax, $quantity = 1) {

return;

//removing $this->format(tep_add_tax($products_price, $products_tax) * $quantity)

removes the product prices except when adding to cart

Im going to call ixwebhosting to see why each time I make a careful edit I loose my defaut page :angry:

ok just spoke to them they said the code on the documentation is wrong, they fixed it for me now.

Archived