• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I need some advice

warrenerjm

Hi

I would greatly appreciate some advice about spotting fraud. I have had a customer sign up & buy some goods. The billing address was different to the delivery address. The delivery address is a company & i checked the address matched their web address. The billing address is registered, but without paying to see the electoral roll (which should be free) I cannot verify that this person lives there. I think they have mearly wanted the goods to go to their work, & am not worried BUT it got me thinking about what if & I would like to know any tips on what measures I should take. Card companies suggest not delivering to a different address than the billing one, but surely this does happen, & that is why OSC offer this option too.

Any suggestions on all aspects of customer accounts & payments appreciated. (I am in the UK)

Thanks

Julie

In relation to personal checks and money orders (if those exist in the UK), do not send the products until this payment method has 100% cleared your bank. This is usually standard procedure and nearly all customers accept this stipulation. Don't forget to mention it on your website though.

It all depends on the products being offered whether sellers state that the bill to address and ship to address must match. I think this ends up being personal preference. If you feel you are having fraud-type problems with having different addresses, then make this a stipulation on your website. If someone wants to have their order shipped to another address, then they must call you to make such arrangements. I've seen this procedure on some big sites.

I guess how you handle payments and shipping is a personal preference based on your company's products and such. I think the majority of consumers out there know, that with the rise of identity theft and fraud, companies are just trying to protect themselves and their customers.

Hope this helps some. Best of luck to you!

In relation to personal checks and money orders (if those exist in the UK), do not send the products until this payment method has 100% cleared your bank. This is usually standard procedure and nearly all customers accept this stipulation. Don't forget to mention it on your website though.

It all depends on the products being offered whether sellers state that the bill to address and ship to address must match. I think this ends up being personal preference. If you feel you are having fraud-type problems with having different addresses, then make this a stipulation on your website. If someone wants to have their order shipped to another address, then they must call you to make such arrangements. I've seen this procedure on some big sites.

I guess how you handle payments and shipping is a personal preference based on your company's products and such. I think the majority of consumers out there know, that with the rise of identity theft and fraud, companies are just trying to protect themselves and their customers.

Hope this helps some. Best of luck to you!

Hi Barbara

I have specified on the website that all personal cheques have to be cleared before goods are sent, but this was through NoChex. I presume NoChex or whichever card company can check whether the card is reported stolen, but they do say they suggest not sending to a different address to the billing address. They do not say you cannot do that or you are liable. I do not know how it all works, but the billing address at NoChex was the same billing address given to me.

I was wondering if there was any checks I could do, without paying a company to access electoral registers, to check the name & address matched. I guess I'm being a little over causious.

What are the warning signs everyone looks out for?

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Julie

Hmm, I see your question now, Julie.

While I will be using PayPal for all my credit card/debit card purchases, I am sure this applies to me as it does with you and NoChex.

Until someone else mentions a source, I assume there is no way for a merchant (you and I) to know if someone is using a stolen credit/debit card for a purchase. I believe there are things in place to protect merchants when using such systems as NoChex, PayPal, etc. ???

Very good question Julie - I look forward to answers from those more knowledgable!

Archived