• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hack the code or use templating system?

I'm trying to change OSCommerce's look-and-feel to match the HTML templates that I've developed.

It seems that I have two choices:

1. Hack the PHP code to add the HTML directly.

2. Use a native templating system such as STS or FastTemplate to make the changes.

Any recommendations? If I do hack the code, is there a code diagram, structure outline, or breakdown anywhere that I can use as a reference? If I use a templating system, should I use STS? I have used FastTemplate off-and-on for over six years - does it work with OSCommerce?

Thanks!

PB

I'm trying to change OSCommerce's look-and-feel to match the HTML templates that I've developed.

It seems that I have two choices:

1. Hack the PHP code to add the HTML directly.

2. Use a native templating system such as STS or FastTemplate to make the changes.

Any recommendations? If I do hack the code, is there a code diagram, structure outline, or breakdown anywhere that I can use as a reference? If I use a templating system, should I use STS? I have used FastTemplate off-and-on for over six years - does it work with OSCommerce?

Thanks!

PB

I have heard that STS sends your database queries through the roof.

There is no diagram that I know of...if only. Osc is table based. EVERYTHING is a table. Go through the index page and rework the indents for the tables, rows and columns. You'll quickly see that the page is divided into three <td> tags...one for products, one for categories and one for default"welcome" page. They are worked by an if, elseif and and else. One of my techniques to "see" the structure of something is to apply various bgcolor's to the tags and see what's what in techni-colour ;)

I tried working with the outer table and almost made a go of it..but IE didn't take too kindly to my design in table format, so I converted the table to div's. IE's happy and so am I :D

Good luck! You'll just have to play around a little.

Sheri

If you can make the changes without using a template system you are better off. Best thing to do is make yourself a test site and give it a shot, that way if you break anything you will not hurt your production site.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

Archived