• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Permissions

sallypointer

I posted this earlier then realised I'd probably put it in the wrong place, so apologies for the duplications.

I am a newbie user trying to install, and I'm stuck. I've read through the previous pages but I still can't work out what I'm supposed to do. I have got the installation to the point where it says 'configuration successful' and there are two buttons below that read 'catalog' and 'administration tool'. Neither does anything (standard page not found screen). I think, from my readings of the previous posts that this is the bit that needs fixing:

4. Make sure that the permissions on all of the folders are set to 755, and if that does not work then set them to 777. Make sure that the includes/configure.php file and the admin/includes/configure.php file are set to 777 for the duration of the install. Once the install is complete reset to 644, 444, or 400 depending on your server setup

However, I havent got the foggiest idea how to do this. I checked my webhosting help file and it says this:

To change the read or write permissions of a file, you can use the PHP function chmod(). To make a file readable and writable for the owner, and readable for everybody else, for example,you might create code like this:

chmod ("/directory/file.php", 0644);

Please note that you will not be able to change the file permissions of any of your files to make them executable. You can run your PHP scripts, which are indicated by the .php file extension, without making them executable. (I'm using Yahoo webhosting if that makes any difference?)

I'm sure I'm just being dense, but I really can't decipher what it wants me to do. I've tried opening the files for a look but can't see anything that looks like the bit I need.

Could someone please take pity on me and point me in the right direction. Do I just modify and paste that chmod thing into each and every folder (there seem to be zillions of them, or is it just the two 'configure' files), and if so, where should it go? many thanks indeed

Sally

Others may have different/better questions but I'm curious...

have got the installation to the point where it says 'configuration successful' and there are two buttons below that read 'catalog' and 'administration tool'. Neither does anything (standard page not found screen).

Where is the catalog button trying to take you (exactly) what is the address of the page where the button is pointing? You can replace your domain name with 'xxxxx' but what's the link otherwise?

Others may have different/better questions but I'm curious...

Where is the catalog button trying to take you (exactly) what is the address of the page where the button is pointing? You can replace your domain name with 'xxxxx' but what's the link otherwise?

oh heck, I can't even get to that page now (probably because I renamed the 'install' file as directed), but the catalog looks like this at the moment :(

http://sallypointer.com/catalog/

Also - is your webserver some sort of Linux or some sort of Windows? If the latter, file permissions are rather different.

Archived