I wonder to know why they write they robot like this

<meta name="robots" content="index, follow" />

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://edpsolutions.net/images/favicon.ico" />

Is there any file to link to?

Some experienced explain to me thank.

smithveg

Hello World! ^.^ I'm a Internet naive. Browse my working profile

Malaysia Web Services - OPerion Website Marketing System

There's no need to tell robots to follow the links on your pages, they will follow the links by default. This is more useful if you want to tell them not to follow. But, the easiest and most commonly used practice is to use a robots.txt file in your root directory.

The link metatag is if you want the user to have a different icon in their favorites when they add your page to their favorites. If you click on favorites in your browser you'll see the IE logo next to the links. If you have a different icon for your link, you can add it through that tag.

There's no need to tell robots to follow the links on your pages, they will follow the links by default. This is more useful if you want to tell them not to follow. But, the easiest and most commonly used practice is to use a robots.txt file in your root directory.

The link metatag is if you want the user to have a different icon in their favorites when they add your page to their favorites. If you click on favorites in your browser you'll see the IE logo next to the links. If you have a different icon for your link, you can add it through that tag.

Mark,

I understand now. That means we no need to add <meta name="robots"> in your page.

We just need to create a robots.txt and upload to our root directory.

Search engines will know how to access your robots.txt in your root directory. Am i right?

We just need to tell the search engines disallow/not to display those unimportant pages in robots.txt.

(The purpose that we disallow pages in robots.txt is to avoid the confusing when robots view our pages)

Am i right?

As i know when you submit your sites/product information to particular SE. If robot interest at your information. They will go through inside and see every pages. The more they see, the more they love your page. The highest rank your sites get.

Mark, all my explanation correct or not? I hoped you point me what's wrong.

Thanks.

smithveg

Mark,

I understand now. That means we no need to add <meta name="robots"> in your page.

We just need to create a robots.txt and upload to our root directory.

Search engines will know how to access your robots.txt in your root directory. Am i right?

We just need to tell the search engines disallow/not to display those unimportant pages in robots.txt.

(The purpose that we disallow pages in robots.txt is to avoid the confusing when robots view our pages)

Am i right?

As i know when you submit your sites/product information to particular SE. If robot interest at your information. They will go through inside and see every pages. The more they see, the more they love your page. The highest rank your sites get.

Mark, all my explanation correct or not? I hoped you point me what's wrong.

Thanks.

smithveg

No responses from mark?

Meta Robots tags are better to use for pages you want to leave out. As stated above, the spiders will crawl your pages anyways. If it makes you feel more comfortable you can throw in

<meta name='robots' content='index,follow'>

If you do not want a page spidered you can handle that in a robots.txt or by using

<meta name='robots' content='noindex,nofollow'>

Meta Robots tags are better to use for pages you want to leave out. As stated above, the spiders will crawl your pages anyways. If it makes you feel more comfortable you can throw in
<meta name='robots' content='index,follow'>

If you do not want a page spidered you can handle that in a robots.txt or by using

<meta name='robots' content='noindex,nofollow'>

Thanks in advance. i get the balls now. :thumbsup:

smithveg

Archived