• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need advice concerning contact us page

In addition to the form, I also have listed various email addresses one can use to contact us. These email addresses are not linked - just plain text.

My store is not officially live yet, so I really do not have much in the way of traffic - yet I am getting a large amount of spam to these email addresses. Naturally, these are from email address harvesters since I get duplicate emails from different senders.

Other forums have suggested doing email addresses as email(at)domain(dot)com (or other similar variations), but folks have mentioned that email harvesting programs looking for (at) and (dot) now.

Others have suggested making your email address a .jpg or .gif image, but there's been mention that messes with search engines (???).

What is the best advice for listing email addresses and keeping spam low/non-existant? Or is this a lost cause period?

• 4 weeks later...

I have encoded e-mail adddresses online before and it only slows them down. Once they get the domain, you are sunk. I get tons of spam to e-mail addresses that are not even posted. They make up the first part and add it to the domain. ie;

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

I once had a mailing list for customers. Any mail that bounced went to my address

[email protected]. I still get spam from that one. What we really need is a tool to eliminate the sender once they start using the address. The volume of spam to my inbox has been increasing the last couple months. The good news is I have not received any viruses in quite a while.

Tim

use a jscript to compose the email, if you have to list the actual email address. Companies usually list the full contact information in the contact us page with the submit form while the emails are not visible at any point. Also filter all input fields from email headers and you could install a vvc contribution to block bots from submitting the form.

Archived