• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

usps shipping help

itechies

hi

One of my client sell book in her store and she use usps for international shipping. The USPS provides flat rate envelopes which are more reasonable than any other way to send them. However, some of our books are small and others are big. It doesn't seem to work by weight to determine what fits in an envelope, but by size. This is what we have figured out:

A flat rate envelope will hold:

One copy of each title, OR

bookno:1 and bookno:3 ,or bookno2: and bookno:3,or bookno:4 and bookno:3

So if someone buyany other combinations , i want to provide request for quote option.Can some one help..

thanks

itech

hi

One of my client sell book in her store and she use usps for international shipping. The USPS provides flat rate envelopes which are more reasonable than any other way to send them. However, some of our books are small and others are big. It doesn't seem to work by weight to determine what fits in an envelope, but by size. This is what we have figured out:

A flat rate envelope will hold:

One copy of each title, OR

bookno:1 and bookno:3 ,or bookno2: and bookno:3,or bookno:4 and bookno:3

So if someone buyany other combinations , i want to provide request for quote option.Can some one help..

thanks

itech

Hi Tom,

I'm a tad bit confused :-) ... do you only have 4 books or do you have 4 types of books?

In any case, the USPS shipping module will have to do a check in the cart to see the items in it, and fill variables if the allowed combination is found. If not, disable module. That is where the other module will come in ... it will do the same check, just enable the module if the combinations allowed are not found - this will be for asking for a quote.

Do you have a mod already for asking for a quote? The customer can still check out?

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the reply.

I've 4 types of books.I found the the mod for asking for a quote and can intall that. Do i have to edit the include>module>shipping>usps file? how can i check the cart items in that file?

thanks again for your help.

tom

Edited by itechies

• 8 months later...
Hi.

I have exactly the same problem as Tom but I don't understand the explanation of the solution! Can anyone help?

Thanks

EGoldstein.

the lowdown for this is pretty basic, the coding probably more complicated...

idea: enable/disable USPS according to items in cart, similar to how it's enabled/disabled for zones if a zone has been selected

method: loop through the cart content, and decide according to your business rules whether module is on or off

coding ... too long to do it here for free, sorry

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...