• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Admin Cannot Find Server Error

Alright, at first this sounds like an SSL problem, but I have searched these forums, and all problems similar to mine have not posted a resolution. Here is the problem:

A windows user of mine, when attempting to submit a product or manufacturer change in the admin, receives a

"The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Cannot find server or DNS Error

Internet Explorer "

This does not happen 100% of the time. I tried to reproduce the error on my machines, and finally got it to happen after 50 entries on my Windows XP machine running IE 6.0. I suggested she try Firefox, but she says she got Firefox's version of the same error about 50% of the time. I was not able to reproduce the error in Firefox. The error has never happened on Mac OS 10.4 on Safari or Firefox.

When hitting the refresh button, all POST data has been destroyed, and therefore corrupts the database entry.

Thanks for any help, it is really frustrating her.

Your browser is giving a "Cannot find server or DNS Error". This means it was not able to connect to the server. So it's basically out of your control. Your ISP might be the problem, or your website host. Or, it could be a problem with a completely separate entity and neither of them have anything to do with it.

I'd recommend starting with your ISP first. Try not to let them fob you off - ask to speak to a higher level support person. They should be able to help you track down where the lag is coming from. If your ISP won't help you, try to get your website host to help. An entry-level support person is probably not going to be able to help you, so stick to your guns.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

Your browser is giving a "Cannot find server or DNS Error". This means it was not able to connect to the server. So it's basically out of your control. Your ISP might be the problem, or your website host. Or, it could be a problem with a completely separate entity and neither of them have anything to do with it.

I'd recommend starting with your ISP first. Try not to let them fob you off - ask to speak to a higher level support person. They should be able to help you track down where the lag is coming from. If your ISP won't help you, try to get your website host to help. An entry-level support person is probably not going to be able to help you, so stick to your guns.

My company is the website hosting company, and I was able to reproduce this error inside the buidling (connected locally), but only with about a 2% rate as compared to the ~25% of the time that our remote administrator is receiving. I had her bring her computer in to try it in the building, and the same results happened.

I have tried it on other Windows based computers as well. I repeated the same process she showed me approx. 50 times on another machine at our offices, and could not replicate the error.

Alright, just tried it on a third Windows machine, but this one a wireless laptop, same thing as she is using. I got the error on the first try.

Please remember that this is not when she goes to the site, but when she tries to add/update vendors and products. I find it hard to believe it is an ISP related issue for only one sequence of commands.

She's on a wireless and is getting this? The connection failing with the wireless would explain why it can't find the server. Are there any timeouts in place for the wireless connection?

Did any of the other machines you tested with have wireless? Any other things in common between the two failing machines?

Is the admin section HTTPS? What kind of logs are you keeping? Can you find any evidence that apache response time is slow when she has this problem? What is the PHP script timeout, and your webserver timeout? Are you keeping a slow query log for mysql?

Do you ever get the same problem if you try to connect to the admin section via your intranet instead of going through external connections?

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

She's on a wireless and is getting this? The connection failing with the wireless would explain why it can't find the server. Are there any timeouts in place for the wireless connection?

Did any of the other machines you tested with have wireless? Any other things in common between the two failing machines?

Is the admin section HTTPS? What kind of logs are you keeping? Can you find any evidence that apache response time is slow when she has this problem? What is the PHP script timeout, and your webserver timeout? Are you keeping a slow query log for mysql?

Do you ever get the same problem if you try to connect to the admin section via your intranet instead of going through external connections?

I have the server admin investigating his logs more in depth, but here is what I have so far.

The ip lease timeout for the wireless is 4 hours locally.

As I said, the target machine and another machine that was a laptop failed and were both windows. Firefox and IE both failed. I am acquiring a Mac laptop now.

The admin is HTTPS. We have checked the logs, and there is an error every once in awhile about connection lost, however when we tried to force that log error to appear by causing site lost network connection error, it did not appear.

When the user recieves the lost connection error, it happens IMMEDIATELY. There is no detectable server response time. The refresh button does nothing. However, going back and trying again will sometimes work, but the POST data is usually lost.

The SSL connection log does not record any connection when the user recieves the site error.

The wireless signal I have been testing on internally is connected to the intranet.

The php and webserver timeouts are both suitably long.

I have tested this on a wireless mac laptop with Safari. The error did not appear.

Thanks for your help.

If the error happens immediately rather than after a timeout period, I'd first check to see if there's any traffic at all at that time. I'd be suspecting that it's a failure on the windows machine and has nothing to do with the website, especially since you're not seeing this on mac and most windows machines.

What wireless cards, what routers, and what OS versions?

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

Archived