• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Design Question - re the table width

As far as design goes I have bee adding a background image to each page, and making the table width 790 rather than 100%.

This is working fine (generally speaking).

But when I click on a category which would bring me to a page like this http://www.hardwaresource.ca/index.php?cPath=21

The main table is going full width - but the other pages are working out fine. What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Gin

You probably didn't add the code for that page. The better way to do this is to add the beginning of the table you use to center the shop in the includes/header.php and the end in includes/footer.php. That will do the whole shop at one time. There are Center Shop contributions that explain how to do this in detail.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack is right, the center shop w/ CSS contribution is quick and easy.

On your pages, I think I see the problem.

The ones that are shoving the columns outwards are the pages that are categories with subcategories.

Your subcategory images total width (ex 3 images shown on this page) is more than 790.

When you set the width of the page, you have to keep the actual width value of the contents shown to less than the set width.

Easier to think about than it is to explain !!! :blink:

Hope it helps

EDIT ok I finally figured out what I really wanted to say.

Your left column width + right column width = 250px

Your 3 category images on the page I linked above = 250px + 250px + 250px = 750px

Total content, 1000px ...so it goes off into outer space :o

Jack is right, the center shop w/ CSS contribution is quick and easy.

On your pages, I think I see the problem.

The ones that are shoving the columns outwards are the pages that are categories with subcategories.

Your subcategory images total width (ex 3 images shown on this page) is more than 790.

When you set the width of the page, you have to keep the actual width value of the contents shown to less than the set width.

Easier to think about than it is to explain !!! :blink:

Hope it helps

EDIT ok I finally figured out what I really wanted to say.

Your left column width + right column width = 250px

Your 3 category images on the page I linked above = 250px + 250px + 250px = 750px

Total content, 1000px ...so it goes off into outer space :o

Ok I get what you're saying. I added the CSS code you mentioned. Can I get the subcategories to list within the table?

For example ... have them break down to the next line? Or have them force a wrap if there isn't enough room in the table.

Hmm It's been a couple of days but I don't remember what css code I might have given you :huh: :huh:

I apologize, I have a tendency to overexplain and still not make sense :blink:

You'll need to make the subcategory images smaller, basically.

Since you've set the fixed width to 790 pixels, your content must stay at or below that number, or it will push things off the page.

With fixed width of 790, that's your allowance.

Your left and right columns take up 250 pixels.

so, 790 minus 250 = 540 pixels.

Now for the content sitting between the columns, you've got 540 pixels to work with.

Your 3 pictures on the "handles and knobs" page ... "berenson / american classic / coverheads" are taking up more space than you have left. If you want those 3 pictures to sit in that position, in one row like that...then you'll need to make the 3 pictures smaller so that they fit inside of the space you have left.

If each subcat picture was less than about 170 pixels wide, then they wouldn't push anything off the page.

Personally, when I made my pages smaller w/ fixed width...I ended up deciding that I didn't like the right column at all. I got rid of a few things, moved a few things and now I just use the left column so my middle space isn't so limited, size-wise.

I will finally answer your second question, sorry...As far as forcing a wraparound or break, I'm not sure what you need to do to that table structure that holds those pictures offhand. Personally, I would make the pictures smaller.

Ok I get what you're saying. I added the CSS code you mentioned. Can I get the subcategories to list within the table?

For example ... have them break down to the next line? Or have them force a wrap if there isn't enough room in the table.

Hey I just want a simple fix. I think your suggestion of making the subcategory images narrower will work just fine.

I also like your idea of getting rid of the right-hand column but I think I will do that once the site is further along.

Thank you.

(The code I was referring to that you couldn't remember was to get the contribution that centers and narrows the site.)

Archived