• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Adding and removing features

camel

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating osCommerce for my client - and I have a couple of questions.

1) If I want to add a new feature, what are the various steps that I have to take. Is it easy to pick up?

2) If I want to remove standard features (like the Bestsellers section on the main page for example) is this possible?

Regards,

Camel

1) There are loads of contributions available to add more features to osC. They usually come with good installation instructions so if you have some basic knowledge of php, html and mysql you should be able to finetune osC quite easily.

2) osC comes like a modular system so it's quite easy to disable some features like the bestseller box in the side column. You'll need to modify the php files though.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Hi,

2) If I want to remove standard features (like the Bestsellers section on the main page for example) is this possible?

To remove boxes from the right and left columns you need to edit the includes/column_left.php and includes/coulumn_right.php files.

You might also want to check out this thread

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Archived