• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

would this be a good move for seo

nana

I thought that with a subdomain, inbound links count towards the domain? That's the reasoning put forth by seo experts on why angel fire webistes , blogger blogs and other free webspace usually have high rankings.

--Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Support the Project, go PRO and get access to certified add ons

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

In MSN's update/mess last weekend they had subdomains ranked very high but then they seemed to put things back to the way they were. I think a well optimized page in a directory such as www.mysite.com/dvd/ can rank very well on the search engines for "dvd". Clean code, good title tag, keyword relevance, H1 & H2 tags, page titles as well as good inbound keyword links should get you near the top.

Using subdirectories we have managed to get as high as #11 on MSN (Google still has us sandboxed) for the keyword "Mr Coffee". Also looking at "Colombian Coffee" as a keyword all the top few pages seem to be in subdirectories and not subdomains.

As far as Ive read google sees www.domain.com and domain.com as duplicate content. Thats why you should stick to one choose it and setup a 301 redirect so your PR isnt shared between to two.

I think subdomains are seen as domain.com so you should work on all you links being to domain.com or subdomain.domain.com. Also do a 301 redirect in htaccess from www.domain.com to domain.com

Problem with that is Im not sure which format would be more popular with natural inbound links. e.g. If someone on a forum added a link to something on your site would they use the www. or not!?!? Personally I think most people would use the www.

Archived