• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie in over his head, HELP!

rustyromans

Please forgive my, lack of knowledge....

I did not build my site, it was built for me. I was looking to change the look and have my categories with pics, on the main page. I contacted a freind who directed me to the contribution to make this work. I downloaded it and read the instructions, looked simple enough, upload one file, an change two lines of code... I could do that... But something went terribly wrong! After carefully making the chages as directed, my website is now nothing but lines of code! Panic!.... no wait, I did a full backup prior to starting this process, so this was no big deal, I would just restore from the backup and start over... However, when I go to my controll panel, hit the restore button and select the backup location, it brings up a list of files, and says "Restoring Files" but nothing happens, I thought maybe it was just a slow process, magnified by this useless satellite internet, but I let it go for a couple hours, and nothing seems to be happening??

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerome

What is the URL for your site and on what page are you getting the lines of code?

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

It appears that *none* of your PHP scripts are being processed.

Contact your host to have them look into the issue.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

Well... I'm not exactly sure what that means, but thanks for the advice, I will contact them right away. Is this likely a result of something I did, or was it just freak luck that this happened at the same time I was trying to make these changes? The only files I changed were one line in the index.php and one line in the filenames.php. ?

Thanks for your help!!

Jerome

If it only happened with a single file then it would point to something that you did.

I requested 5 different files and none of them work and none were related to the category images modification that you installed. Due to that I am led to believe that it is a problem on your hosts end.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my novice questions! It is really generous of you to share your knowledge like this!

What awefull timing on this though! I have been beating myself up all day for messing up my site!! I'm a bit releaved to know it may not have been my problem after all! I have submitted a ticket to my provider.

Regards,

Jerome

Looks ok now.

BTW you mentionend you hit the restore button in your control panel. If you mean the admin panel, then you just backup and restore the database and not the whole shop.

When contribution instructions tell you to backup your files, that means save the current version of the php-file you are changing. If something goes wrong with the modified file, you can always load up the previously saved unchanged version.

In general it makes sense to backup both before modifying.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

It seems the error was mine after all, it seems I used an incorrect protocol when downloading and saving the files, so when I sent them back it botched the code. So a website designer I am not LOL. I'll leave this stuff to the pros from now on.

My web provider had to manually replace the damaged files with the good files from my backup, to get me back on line.

Regards,

Jerome

Thank goodness your hosting company was kind enough to do that. I've heard horror stories of companies who didn't give two shakes about stuff like that. "It's your fault, deal with it" attitude.

Best of luck with your site!

Archived