• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Before i go live, is my site good enough ?

sxs125

Hi, this is my first website. Its for my dad who runs a Moto-X shop.

I have to add ALLOT more products to the site, but the rest is basically configured and setup, and id like you professionals to have a look and make sure:

-Theres no terrible mistakes

-Its secure (i managed to install SSL :) )

-Its appropriate and easy to naviagate

-Any other usual things i could improve (maybe to make the customer feel comfortable using the site)

I dont know much about modding the style so i just changed it a little bit.

Thank you very much, i hope to make this site go LIVE once more products have been added (hopefully within a month)

www.mxmadness.co.uk

Cheers again :P

It is looking good so far, just a couple of observations.

The header banner looks good at a 1024 resolution, at 800 it is a bit big so pushes your icons over. I think that is getting less of a concern these days.

Your SSL seems to be working ok.

On the navigation, although with some categories you need to go pretty deep, I think it is simple enough.

You obviously need to sort out the Shipping, Privacy and T&C pages.

You don't have any Meta Tag Information. There are a few contributions for that.

Maybe put some images with the New Products For....

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck with it!

While I hate when people just say "it's still stock"...in this case, I'll have to agree. While only us OsC users know what "stock" looks like, your site does have that 'in progress' look to it.

Remove the -> and category product count from the categories box. Your customers don't need to have prior knowledge of how many products you have - that might keep them from touring your site.

I would decrease the size of your site logo in the header so that your 'account' 'cart' etc icons are in line with the rest of the site - or simply remove them all together.

Remove the Osc banner in the footer - you already have the text link.

Perhaps install the Header Tags contribution. This provides the means to do meta tags and description for each category, subcategory and product. Also, it allows you to put description text for each category, so you can do further sales pitches, definitions, etc. So, for example, I click on Racewear. The new page opens. You have a sales pitch about Thor and Sinisalo and how great they are and what famous racers where them, etc etc. Adding such category description text is also a plus for search engine optimization.

Your green buttons, such as buy now, do not fit with the blue and white color of your site design. I would go with a dark blue button design. And perhaps a tad smaller in size...just a little bit, not a lot.

Just clicking on Racewear, Adult, Jerseys - looking through them, I see no sizes. What sizes do these come in. And how do the sizes run. Don't just put Small, Medium, Large. Do Small (4-6), Medium (8-10), Large (12-14). Or however they run in the UK. Smalls are not necessarily the same size from manufacturer to manufacturer.

You've got a great start! Oooo, How about finding public domain (or take your own) pictures of people racing bikes, and other industry photos, to place on the main page - create the biking ambiance!

Thanks allot from those comments, really nice to know you people have had a look and i really appreciate that.

I will read throught the replies 2 or 3 times again and make myself a 'todo' list of all the comments and things i can take a look at and hit them one by one.

Only thing i didnt understand was these Meta tags, i have never heard of these before, and id like to know what they do before i even start installing things (obviously).

The style of the site is ok for me, i only changed it to a darker blue and i quite like the buttons, but ill look at making some blue ones.

Thanks again for your comments, gives me some really good ideas on how i can improve :D

Ryan

I agree with spax about the meta tags - you can download a contribution and install it.

I also agree with moonlight about the green buttons, those have been used by so many sites and template based sites it unbelieveable, there are some using it them now and asking for feedback on their sites and templates! It would be better if you used blue buttons or a colour to match the site contrast.

Good Luck

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Only thing i didnt understand was these Meta tags, i have never heard of these before, and id like to know what they do before i even start installing things (obviously).

META Tags...

Check out the top of your browser when you visit a website, the information that shows up there is the TITLE and when it comes to search engines is the listed words you read.

Next up are KEYWORDS, these help in search engines. People enter in their search and if their words match yours, you may rate higher up the list. There are a lot of factors towards how search engines create their lists, but keywords play a part.

DESCRIPTION: This appears under the link explaining your webpage to the searchers.

There are a range of other meta tags, but these three would be what everyone is talking about.

eg...

TITLE: Thor Force Helmet - Blue Chrome

KEYWORDS: Thor,Force,Helmet,Blue Chrome,vents

DESCRIPTION: Constructed from Aramid, fibreglass and dyneema for superior strength and weight savings

You get the general idea. Keywords are rated in order and phrases (Blue Chrome) will show up when someone uses that combination, but not if they only use one of the words. But someone looking only for blue may be after sky, paint or god only knows what else. Word choice is highly important and the first word is the most important. Then again, all this could get thrown out with the next search engine update (Word weight in a page is a factor these days, but that has nothing to do with Meta Tags so what ever)

All you need to know is that Meta Tags help, if not on a search, then in trying to get the information across to the searcher.

Or would you choose a link on a search engine that instead of the above says...

mxmadness.co.uk/product.php?oswhatever

helmet,$4.95,6w79wuheyfgcyiglsdcbkjdsv

etc

First point of advertising on the search fields.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a quick look at your store, and must agree with others are saying. Stock look - but not too bad. Large header - taking up ttoo much space where other information could be placed. Green buttons - do not go with the look of the site. Do a google search for oscommerce buttons and find or make some better ones. Header tags and meta tags - need some.

Now for my own observations.

One that most people miss. Your advanced search help page would be better if it related to items that you sell. Just alter includes.language/english/advanced_search.

If you are mainly UK based, you should really alter the address layout especially in your create account page so that it fits with the standard UKaddress layout. In other words move your postcode box to the correct place. Whilst on this page, my house has a name. If i was to purchase from your shop, i have nowhere to enter this information, which is very helpfull when trying to get goods to me. Put the additional address line back in. On this page you still have the very cartoonish images left. Either renove them or replace them. They do appear on more pages.

Some of your information pages are empty. At least you have added your contact details to the contact us page. I would also add more information pages to make your site better than the competitions. Tell people what you think they want to hear. Sell yourself and the goods will sell themselves.

Make the box headers links to the actual pages. If i click on your specials item it takes me straight to that item. If the box header was a link to the specials page i could see al your special priced items.

Whilst people are explaining seo to you. Try ading an all products pade, and an all manufacturers page. Search engines love them.

Some of your product descriptions are a bit long winded to read. Break the text up a bit using html tags to create paragraphs or line breaks. Also delete the "this product was aded to our catalog" text. I as a customer dont really care when it was added.

That will do for now. You have lots to be sorting out. Dont be disheartened, it will take ages to get your site right. Keep plodding on, and it will get there. All the best for when you eventually go live.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

You have a good start. Keep on adding and changing all those things mentioned before.

I just want to add something that is maybe just a "problem" for me but it may also be happening to your potential customers.

When I check out requests for feedback and especially when the shop in question still looks "stock", I kind of know where things are and what to expect. But I always miss the real categories.

I'll explain a bit. I navigate as follows:

1) open index.php

2) click on any category in the left category navigation (in this case goggles)

3) my focus goes to the center of the page, ignoring the images for the categories (I perceive them as decoration)

4) the products in the new products this month box get my attention (as they are in a different coloured box) and click on any one of them

What happens is that I don't realise that these are only the new products and not the real categories so I miss out on the vast amount of products you might have in your subcategories. The left navigation is not good enough to make it clear to me that there are subcategories and the subcategory images in the center of the page are not distinct enough.

As I said above, that's happening to me all the time because I have seen too many similar shops and I just automatically navigate like this. I might not be the typical customer but bear in mind that people are usually only scanning your site in order to find what they are looking for.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Archived