• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Editing File Manager Entries

naltan

When i try altering File Manger entries, i get locked out, i can read the entries but not edit them, at the top of the page in red is

" Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /home/naltanc/public_html/catalog//includes/languages/english.php

What does this mean & how can i change the "right user permissions" so i can edit ?

Thanks

Bob

Download the files you want to edit via FTP and edit them in a plain text editor like Text Pad or Crimson Editor (take a backup first). Then upload them, and if there's a problem restore from the backup.

This is a much better and more reliable way of editing osCommerce files.

Vger

Admin > Tools > File Manager is evil and should not be used.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

I go with Vger on this one, that's the way I edit and upload.

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Archived