• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Optimizing Images

The image you uploaded for that product (33152_promobasketsm.jpg) has dimensions of 120 x 120.

Your 'image width' for your product info pages is set to display at 200 wide.

Since 200 is more than 120, it will artificially enlarge your picture for display on the product info pages.

The "click to enlarge" means it will open a popup with the image shown in it's "full" size, which in this case is only 120x120.

If most of your images are that small, you'll need to set the display proportions to a smaller size, and probably just disable the 'click to enlarge'.

The other option is to get bigger pictures.

I hope it makes sense.

I've been trying to fix the way my images look, as thumbnails as well as on the product page and when clicked to enlarge. Some work great...just as they should. Others do not such as here: http://www.craftygiftcreations.com/product...products_id=396

Any suggestions on what may be wrong with some of my images??

Thank you!

The image you uploaded for that product (33152_promobasketsm.jpg) has dimensions of 120 x 120.

Your 'image width' for your product info pages is set to display at 200 wide.

Since 200 is more than 120, it will artificially enlarge your picture for display on the product info pages.

The "click to enlarge" means it will open a popup with the image shown in it's "full" size, which in this case is only 120x120.

If most of your images are that small, you'll need to set the display proportions to a smaller size, and probably just disable the 'click to enlarge'.

The other option is to get bigger pictures.

I hope it makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. Is there a good, standard image size for the product info pages? Perhaps I should reduce them. The only way to get larger images would be to ask for them from the manufacturers and I'm going to guess they can't or won't do that for me.

I think what you were trying for (200 wide) is perfect, but it won't work with the images you have.

If most of your images are that width (120 wide), I guess that's where you'll need to set it.

If you go that way, I would suggest doing away with the click to enlarge. When the customer sees "click to enlarge", and clicks it....then all they get is the same size image I think that might be irritating for them, you know? :blush:

Makes perfect sense. Is there a good, standard image size for the product info pages? Perhaps I should reduce them. The only way to get larger images would be to ask for them from the manufacturers and I'm going to guess they can't or won't do that for me.

I believe you can actually upload a large image first and basically once the pop-up appears it will show its full image size. You will need to do this by increasing the size of the image (if necessary) before uploading using photoshop or alike but bearing in mind that the small picture may not look good as it's pixels aren't the original.

You could also do what has been suggested before and remove the pop-up link and even place a small border around the image using the stylesheet.

Or, you could add an image contribution like imagemagic.

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Archived