• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Order in which products are displayed

judeabb

I've really tried to sort this one out by searching through the forums but despite all the fantastic help I've found there I am still utterly flummoxed by the whole product listing question.

If it helps, then look at the site: http://www.nomasters.co.uk/shopping

That very first page you get to ('top'? index?) has all the products on it and I seem to have no control over how they are displayed. It seems to set itself to ordering them according to the one I edited or added most recently.

? Do I have any control over this?

If you click on a product you then get the category heading at the top in the thin grey bar.

? Is there a way to have that heading there from the outset?

When the contents of that category display, they are also in a slightly random order. I've tried to set it to display in product model number order (following responses to similar questions I found in the forum) but it doesn't seem to want to do it.

? How do I make the products display in the order I want them to?

I also (yes, I am very new to this, so please indulge my ignorance) don't know where I should go to make whatever changes are necessary. Is it admin? Or editing .php files? Or poking around in databases?

Please help! I am driving myself and everybody else mad with this!

Thanks in advance.

It's kind of hard to tell what's going on there by just looking at the page. It's certainly no longer a stock osC layout. It looks like the products are being displayed in the "latest products" area so maybe what you're looking for is the Define Main Page contribution. That will allow you to do whatever you want with the front page via a wysiwyg editor. You can then probably do without the "latest products" bit.

Before you go for that, have a look in the admin. Under the Tools menu, I think you'll find the standard (non-wysiwyg) "Define MainPage editor (I can't actually remember)! Assuming that's there, you could create the page in your usual html editor then copy the code straight in there.

BTW, you fixed that column_left php error really quickly - only appeared for a few seconds and gone again - lol

It's kind of hard to tell what's going on there by just looking at the page. It's certainly no longer a stock osC layout. It looks like the products are being displayed in the "latest products" area so maybe what you're looking for is the Define Main Page contribution. That will allow you to do whatever you want with the front page via a wysiwyg editor. You can then probably do without the "latest products" bit.

Before you go for that, have a look in the admin. Under the Tools menu, I think you'll find the standard (non-wysiwyg) "Define MainPage editor (I can't actually remember)! Assuming that's there, you could create the page in your usual html editor then copy the code straight in there.

BTW, you fixed that column_left php error really quickly - only appeared for a few seconds and gone again - lol

Cheers for that. I've kind of realised that what I want to be able to do is avoid the index page altogether. I have a catalogue page already which I have control over, so I'm just using OSCommerce for the bit where somebody buys something.

Is not having the index page an option?

Archived