• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Moved site - now broken

mschwarz

Hello all,

I need help once again. I have been developing a osCommerce web site on my personal web hosting. Now I have downloaded then ftp'ed the site to a new hosting plan for the customer. Every time I clich on a page that is php enabled, I get an error. It looks like the new install cannot find the OSC database.

Here is an example error:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user 'mgscompu_p_os1'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/drewca/public_html/osCommerce/catalog/includes/functions/database.php on line 19

Unable to connect to database server!

What is the proper way to migrate an OSC web site? This site is a mixture of html pages and php pages.

The url to the test is here: http://mgscomputerservices.com/osCommerce/index.htm

The url to production is here: http://70.87.90.2/~drewca/osCommerce/index.htm (this will change when the nameservers are updated.

Thank you,

~Mark

when you did the move, I'm sure you created a new database with a new database user and imported your database from dev there. Did you adjust the configure.php settings to reflect that?

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

Hi Monica and thank you for such a speedy reply.

I searched here and did change the configuration file. What I'm not sure of is how to move the database from the old (test) server to the new location.

Also, all the paths seem to be a little funky. If you go to the new site ( http://70.87.90.2/~drewca/osCommerce/index.htm ) and click on Shopping cart (upper right) the php pages are now there, but they aren't right. And nothing from the database shows up under categories.

Thank you,

~Mark

Hi Monica and thank you for such a speedy reply.

I searched here and did change the configuration file. What I'm not sure of is how to move the database from the old (test) server to the new location.

Also, all the paths seem to be a little funky. If you go to the new site ( http://70.87.90.2/~drewca/osCommerce/index.htm ) and click on Shopping cart (upper right) the php pages are now there, but they aren't right. And nothing from the database shows up under categories.

Thank you,

~Mark

Steps to follow when moving a site

1. Backup database in your osC admin.

2. Ftp all your files to your local computer

3. Create new database and user at new location making sure you assign user to database. ( It is a three step process, create database, create user, add user to database)

4. Edit your two configure.php files using your new database info and path info on your new server

5. Ftp all your files to new location

6. using phpmyadmin (or whatever tool your hosting company supplies) populate database with sql file from last backup you did (from step 1)

Store should be up and going.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

Steps to follow when moving a site

1. Backup database in your osC admin.

2. Ftp all your files to your local computer

3. Create new database and user at new location making sure you assign user to database. ( It is a three step process, create database, create user, add user to database)

4. Edit your two configure.php files using your new database info and path info on your new server

5. Ftp all your files to new location

6. using phpmyadmin (or whatever tool your hosting company supplies) populate database with sql file from last backup you did (from step 1)

Store should be up and going.

ozcsys,

This is what I was looking for. I was just searching around here. Thank you for the step-by-step. I will try this tonight. Be assured, I will be back if I have more problems.

Thank you too Monica. The response time here is fantastic. Hopefully in time, I will be able to help "newbies" like me!!!

~Mark :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
ozcsys,

This is what I was looking for. I was just searching around here. Thank you for the step-by-step. I will try this tonight. Be assured, I will be back if I have more problems.

Thank you too Monica. The response time here is fantastic. Hopefully in time, I will be able to help "newbies" like me!!!

~Mark :thumbsup:

OK ozcsys,

I gave up on this for about a week or so but need to get it working. I'm not sure how to get this to work on my local machine. Could you please clarify what to do at that level? It's step 3 that I am not clear on. Could you step-by-step me on the 3 steps?

Thank you,

~Mark

Archived