• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

got my mp3 store working? where are the sales?

rgow

Okay..got the os store working...hit search engines, bombarded all of my contacts....2 sales in 4 months...help?/?/

Does anyone know the best place to advertise my site to drive through sales?

Cheers

Russell

Okay..got the os store working...hit search engines, bombarded all of my contacts....2 sales in 4 months...help?/?/

Does anyone know the best place to advertise my site to drive through sales?

Cheers

Russell

I run an mp3 store as well and I've posted some marketing ideas that I've used to get traffic to my site here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=153412

Understand that digital downloads is still a new market and only 5% of music sales are digital though that's rising. Combine this with the fact that there are MAJOR players in and entering this field with tons of marketing money to make sure their services are heavily visited and even they aren't making money (Napster). Then there's p2p and grey area sites like Allofmp3 so it's a very competitive market right now but the growth potential is amazing.

With so much competition is imperative that you do stuff to set your site apart from the others:

1. Don't try to cover the whole spectrum of music. There are just too many stores doing that, iTunes, Napster, Urge, etc. Pick a niche and focus on that.

2. Make sure your site design is up to par. This is one space where a stock oscommerce install is just not going to cut it. If your site looks cheesy and untrustworthy there are just too many other places where they can get music from.

3. Add content no one else has. I've just created a magazine section on my site featuring content specific to the market I'm targeting and I'm about to add a few other things that no other music site offers. You need to get people coming back to the site and hopefully will be able to cross-sell things to them.

4. Optimize for search engines and the like. This has all been discussed before so I won't go into it here.

5. I'll let you in on a little secrect. MYSPACE!!!! The opportunity to reach your market through MySpace is huge! I resisted at first but when I saw other companies in my space were doing the MySpace thing, I broke down and did it as well. It was well worth it!!! You can't beat the kind of targeting that you can do for music at MySpace. I won't go into specific strategies here as that's something you'll have to work out for yourself.

It takes time, and in a realistic buisness plan, at least in this market... you should be prepared to show a loss in your first year because you're going to spend time a lot of time and money getting the word out about your service, but hopefully in time your hard work will pay off.

My Contribution

Music Download Store Template

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4275

Archived