• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

No Follow links for Ultimate URLs

Im not sure if I need to do this but, I have ultimate seo urls installed I cant stop bots through robots.txt indexing pop up image or similar pages, as they are renamed by ultimate seo urls. Should I put no follow tags on the links to pages like this? A good example of this would be the buy now button. Is there any point in a bot indexing that page is there? Or even a no follow on add to cart?

Have I got this right or shouldn?t I worry?

Right I watched a program that acts like a bot go through my site and it was indexing all of the buy now pages for every product which doesnt look like a good idea. Im sure it isnt but what do you think?

Anyway I have added a "nofollow" to the links which should sort it and make the site easyier to spider by search engine.

Changed in includes/modules/product_listings.php

Changed

case 'PRODUCT_LIST_BUY_NOW':
		$lc_align = 'center';
		$lc_text = '<a href="' . tep_href_link(basename($PHP_SELF), tep_get_all_get_params(array('action')) . 'action=buy_now&products_id=' . $listing['products_id']) . '" >' . tep_image_button('button_buy_now.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_BUY_NOW) . '</a> ';
		break;

To

case 'PRODUCT_LIST_BUY_NOW':
		$lc_align = 'center';
		$lc_text = '<a href="' . tep_href_link(basename($PHP_SELF), tep_get_all_get_params(array('action')) . 'action=buy_now&products_id=' . $listing['products_id']) . '" rel="nofollow">' . tep_image_button('button_buy_now.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_BUY_NOW) . '</a> ';
		break;

Added the rel="nofollow" attribute. Im pritty sure this is essential if using ultimate seo urls?

why you need this code since the osc redirects spiders to the cookie usage page when the action is set. Spiders will not start sessions.

• 3 years later...

I think anything you can do to prevent a spider from following a link that do not benefit you, benefits you, especially if you have a large site, They will only devote so much time to crawling your site, so things like the page sort links, or buy now links are really wasting the bots time, and preventing the search engine from keeping an updated index of your site.

Just call me Dewed ...

Archived