• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can I clone my site to new server & URL and just change catalogue and banners?

bennysheehan

Hi everyone,

I have one osC store up and running 2 months now http://www.arbor.com.au

Yesterday, I even had an order for $4, 650 which was really exciting.

I now want to build another site for my mining and drilling customer base, so my question is this:

Is it possible to "clone" my site, and put it on a new server with a new URL, and then all i would have to do is change the banners, some text and catalogue, rather than building again from scratch?

Could anyone explain in simple steps how I could go about this? I would eternally greatful.

Kind Regards

--

Ben Sheehan

Hi everyone,

I have one osC store up and running 2 months now http://www.arbor.com.au

Yesterday, I even had an order for $4, 650 which was really exciting.

I now want to build another site for my mining and drilling customer base, so my question is this:

Is it possible to "clone" my site, and put it on a new server with a new URL, and then all i would have to do is change the banners, some text and catalogue, rather than building again from scratch?

Could anyone explain in simple steps how I could go about this? I would eternally greatful.

Kind Regards

--

Ben Sheehan

I just did this, it will take some time and know how. Clearing your orders database data is tricky and you need to modify any directory paths etc in config.

BTW I would be suspicious of a $4650 order... call them and make sure, CC payments are dangerous they can chargeback.

Thanks. Is there anyone else who can explain this in more detail for me. I also appreciate the warning Shervin, but the order is legit. My store sells accessories and consumables to the customers of the company who i work for as a day job. I know 90% of my customers.

Price should not nessecarily be the only to judge a bogus order, as the new site I want to build will sell accesories to the horizontal directional drilling market, and I will probably have orders around $20, 000. My friend took an order for drill rods over the phone for $45, 000 AU $ today.

Yes it is very much possible and to be frank, many people do it for a variety of reasons so it is very common.

1) You must download the whole store on to your computer.

2) You must back up the database on to your computer

3) You must then upload the whole store on the new server

4) You must then create a database name to match the name in both config files and add the databse/sql

5) You will probably need to password protect the admin by using your domain control panel and go through the pages and set permissions on (or CHMOD) all the relevant files

I really don't know what else to say apart from that, except it takes time to download a whole site and then upload it all via FTP

Hope that helps

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Archived