• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

MultiTASK ? 1 Database many URL's

Can OSC be set up to run in different directories and different URLs and use only one DATABASE for the lot? Thus being able to have multiple "different" looking sites all pulling from the same inventory and user database?

Yes

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Can OSC be set up to run in different directories and different URLs and use only one DATABASE for the lot? Thus being able to have multiple "different" looking sites all pulling from the same inventory and user database?

How is this done.. Do you simply install another installation and then point it to the database which is already created and say (DON'T POPULATE) with sample/test data? Just don't want to over write the orginal.. I will backup just incase but kinda want to know before hand.. Thanks! B)

How is this done.. Do you simply install another installation and then point it to the database which is already created and say (DON'T POPULATE) with sample/test data? Just don't want to over write the orginal.. I will backup just incase but kinda want to know before hand.. Thanks! B)

you download your current installation, only the catalog part

you modify the paths in the config file

you create a new folder and reupload all your files to it

if you use the same admin, all parameters will be the same (like search results). If you do not want that, you can still overrride those values in your application_top.php of an installation.

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

you download your current installation, only the catalog part

you modify the paths in the config file

you create a new folder and reupload all your files to it

if you use the same admin, all parameters will be the same (like search results). If you do not want that, you can still overrride those values in your application_top.php of an installation.

Ok.. So I download my entire /catalog/* directory & sub-directories, create another account / URL and upload all of it back into the new folder and change all of the directories found within the php files from the old location to the new? That's it? no "installing" needed into the new URL?

Ok.. So I download my entire /catalog/* directory & sub-directories, create another account / URL and upload all of it back into the new folder and change all of the directories found within the php files from the old location to the new? That's it? no "installing" needed into the new URL?

No installing. Installing only sets the dataabse and the config files. You have a database already and you chaneg the config files manually. One to be exact, as you only have the catalog part for the new url. I do not understand what paths you want to change in "within the php files ". The only file to be adjusted is configure.php. And do not download admin folder.

Monika

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

There is a contribution for this in the contributions section. Download that and install it, it should be what you are looking for.

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

There is a contribution for this in the contributions section. Download that and install it, it should be what you are looking for.

Wow.. I must of miss that contrib.. You have the URL for it?

Bottomline then is only the CONFIGURE.PHP needs to be changed and we just don't download the /admin folder.. END OF STORY, I guess?

Bottomline then is only the CONFIGURE.PHP needs to be changed and we just don't download the /admin folder.. END OF STORY, I guess?

I don't have the URL but you can search the contributions for 'multi shops' - there are two, so naturally you need the latter one. Once downloaded read the install instructions to see if it what you need then go ahead and install it.

CHOOCH

yes, end of story. Any multi-store contribution added to your setup is totally unnecessary. Save yourself the heartache (yes I have used it before).

Monika

yes, end of story. Any multi-store contribution added to your setup is totally unnecessary. Save yourself the heartache (yes I have used it before).

Gotcha.. Thank you very much. I, like many, would rather use as little contrib's as possible.

Archived