• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OSCommerce Newbie

cali22dude

Hi everyone! Im new to these technique in developing websites. I have knowledge on HTML and a slight understanding of PHP. For web development, Ive used Dreamweaver and Frontpage. Currently, I was ask to make some changes on this page (like rearranging featured products on an index page) and when I look at the coding I found out its been developed using OScommerce. I am used to hardcore HTML coding and I was kinda lost. So, maybe someone would be kind enough to tell me any references/books/manuals they used to build their own oSCommerce websites. Our site was fully customize and we didnt use the template available. I can see that some of you here didnt use the template at all too. Your immediate response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

The first piece of advice I'd give is to ditch FrontPage - it inserts it's own code into your pages and will completely mess things up.

OSC uses PHP on the back-end to connect to the store database and construct HTML pages on the front-end. A basic understanding of PHP will get you pretty far but the more you want to change and modify the greater your knowledge of PHP (and MySQL) will need to be.

The OSC Knowledge Base is a good place to start and this forum is also a great resource.

The first piece of advice I'd give is to ditch FrontPage - it inserts it's own code into your pages and will completely mess things up.

OSC uses PHP on the back-end to connect to the store database and construct HTML pages on the front-end. A basic understanding of PHP will get you pretty far but the more you want to change and modify the greater your knowledge of PHP (and MySQL) will need to be.

The OSC Knowledge Base is a good place to start and this forum is also a great resource.

Thanks man! I also found this book on this site - "CRE Loaded 6.2 Users Manual". Do you think this would help. By the way, here's the site that I was ask to make some changes. http://sonictoothbrush.com/catalog/ . I was ask to do some changes on the text and maybe change some items in there. I know the changing something on it is pretty easy but I hard a hard time trying find the page which Im suppose to change. I really need to fully understand how this OSC works. Thanks again.

Hi, related question... Are there any workshops or compact courses on OSC? I have been poking at it with a stick for about a year now and while I can set it up, get it running and use the admin features, I cannot make it look the way I want and I have NO luck with debugging.

Oh, I'm looking for something in Europe... the closer to Germany the better...

Thanks in advance for any tips.

William

Archived