• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My store

enp

First of all.. i will ask the first person who review my previous post to accept my apologyes, but i'm not a very good programmer...nor an english speaker. Thanks and sorry!

I'm looking for some ways to improve my online store...please let me know if there are anything things you dont like...or areas which could be improved on.

You can use, the following to test out (you must be logged in):

Username: [email protected]

Password: guest

My Webpage

Try using the stylesheet to add colour to it. Nice work with the categories menu but even when the english language is selected it shows the default instead.

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

There is not an error with the categories and products descriptions because for the moment the site is all in romanian (no mather what language is selected).... hope to modify english descriptions soon.

Any hint on what colour(s) should I choose? (the site is about heating devices, air conditioning and professional kitchen utilities).

Thanks Chooch for the post and million thanks to the people from all over the world who visited my store and web site.

Boring stock oscommerce setup. You really need to spend some time altering the look and feel. Change the colours, do a bit of research to find colours that you like, and alter the buttons to match your site.

Forcing a customer to create an account before seeing the items you have for sale, will turn most away. I couldnt get past a create account page so didnt go much further.

All of your information pages are empty, and you arefollowing the recent trend of not adding any metatags.

Once you have your siter more completed ask for another review, and you may get more comments.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Any hint on what colour(s) should I choose? (the site is about heating devices, air conditioning and professional kitchen utilities).

I can't comment on what colours you should have as they are dependent on your mood and the specific needs of the store on par with your products.

I do however agree it is a very bad idea to force customers especially first time visitors to create an account before viewing your site - you'll lose alot of would-be customers. I think you remove that function and then jump straight on to the style sheet and add colours until you find what makes you happy and the site look good, then go on from there.

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Thanks all for posting.

I took your's advice and disable the force login (it was most of a curiosity anyway ).

I have change'd the top and bottom banners and created other buttons (according to my logo)... i hope to integrate the colour of the buttons on the overall site.

You're off to a good start!

Remove the visitor count at the bottom of the site - visitors really don't need to see how long your site has been around and how few visitors it's already gotten. Most hosting companies have an admin panel that has some sort of site counter program or stats program. IF not, there are ones you can install where only you can see these stats and not your visitors.

While I like what you've done to the Categories box, why is there a huge empty space below the last category listing? Any way to shorten that up?

Don't forget to swap out the default stock OsC icons with your own (or delete them - whichever you prefer).

Don't forget to optimize your banner and picture file sizes....try to keep a file size under 10KB if at all possible for quicker loading times.

While I haven't used them, there are contributions for optimizing pics. Your product pics are kind of fuzzy, some seem squashed...

I clicked on Marmita electrica - 100 litri .... the product pic on the product description page makes it look like a tallish item. But when you click on the click to enlarge, the new pic makes the product look more squarish. So ............... what's the true picture? *grins* Need to go through your whole site, each product, figure out what would be the best option on making your pics show the true product and more clearly.

Since I do not know Romanian (though it looks awfully akin to Italian *shrugs*), I can't comment on the product description text itself. Just try to be as detailed as possible. Since you are selling such high priced and hard to ship items, give your customers as much detail as possible so there is no confusion or misunderstanding. Talk about warranties, electrical technical stuffs, etc. ** OR ** Create a page, with a link to it in the Information box, that talks about warranties, technical stuff, etc if the same information would have been placed on each product description page - saves time that way.

Hope this helps out. Keep going!!!!! You're doing great!

I can see what you're trying to do with the buttons but even though the 'ep' part of it is fine, the colour is damaging to the eye!

Try using the stylesheet to play around with different colours till you find what you want, then you can add the appropriate colour to the buttons.

CHOOCH

Thank you all for posting, you are great.

Moonlight

- The visitor count is a very good referral for me and provide me with some webstats too, so, for the moment, i will keep it. (Good point anyway about the users/clients).

- The empty space below the categories menu is ment to be filled with other categories, so no need to worry. :)

- I tried to change most of the OSC stock icons... maybe i have misted someones...

- About the pictures size&quality: i receive them from the producers (importers) so i don't realy have any control over them. I will try to get others to fit my site. (by the way, the normal size of "Marmita" is squarish (most likely rouded).

- Good point about the product descriptions... i will try to provide more detailes.

In the and the romanian is a latin language, so yes may be it seems like italian (or should be). :)

Chooch

I hope the buttons integrate better now. Your oppinion is greatly appreciatly.

Sorry for my english, i hope i make my self understood. :'(

Thank you all for posting, you are great.

Moonlight

- The visitor count is a very good referral for me and provide me with some webstats too, so, for the moment, i will keep it. (Good point anyway about the users/clients).

What Moonlight is saying is that keeping the stats at the bottom of the page is amaturish and doesn't belong on an ecommerce site. CHeck any major ecommerce site, better yet check your competitors and you'll see that no one has stats on their site for all to see. There's a reason for this. If you're going to play with the big boys then you'd better do your best to look like them.

You can get webstats using one of the contributions or by using something like http://www.statcounter.com

But please do remove it from your site. That's so early 90's!

My Contribution

Music Download Store Template

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4275

I see you have edited the button colours... the stylesheet really doesn nothing for me BUT if you are happy, that's cool :D

Get rid of the 3 images on the top right (header), replace them with colour contrasted buttons.

Good Luck

CHOOCH

Archived