• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

is oscommerce right for me

mynameisflorian

I already have my site completed, with a database for all my products and a some php to display the items. Pretty much everything but the shopping cart. Can I use oscommerce as just a shopping cart without the product management or "visualization" functions? Basically I take care of everything until the user presses the "add to cart" or "view cart" buttons, and oscommerce would (hopefully) take care of managing what is in the shopping cart and send the completed transaction to paypal. Oscommerce would preferably be capable of decreasing the quantity of the item in my database. I don't mind having to tinker "under the hood" a little bit to get this last request to work...

If my question is unclear, I would be more than happy to elaborate...

any advise would be greatly appreciated,

Florian

I already have my site completed, with a database for all my products and a some php to display the items. Pretty much everything but the shopping cart. Can I use oscommerce as just a shopping cart without the product management or "visualization" functions? Basically I take care of everything until the user presses the "add to cart" or "view cart" buttons, and oscommerce would (hopefully) take care of managing what is in the shopping cart and send the completed transaction to paypal. Oscommerce would preferably be capable of decreasing the quantity of the item in my database. I don't mind having to tinker "under the hood" a little bit to get this last request to work...

If my question is unclear, I would be more than happy to elaborate...

any advise would be greatly appreciated,

Florian

anyone?

Hi Florian!

I am not an advanced user, but your host might already have a shopping cart to add to your site. My host is ipowerweb and I have that option. I would check there first.

Also, paypal might offer one, if all you are going to accept is paypal payments. I saw this on their website:

Q. What is the PayPal Shopping Cart?

A. The PayPal Shopping Cart , a feature included in Website Payments Standard, allows you to accept PayPal payments for multiple items at one time directly from your website. It is available to Premier and Business accounts.

Good luck!

Hi Florian!

I am not an advanced user, but your host might already have a shopping cart to add to your site. My host is ipowerweb and I have that option. I would check there first.

Also, paypal might offer one, if all you are going to accept is paypal payments. I saw this on their website:

Q. What is the PayPal Shopping Cart?

A. The PayPal Shopping Cart , a feature included in Website Payments Standard, allows you to accept PayPal payments for multiple items at one time directly from your website. It is available to Premier and Business accounts.

Good luck!

yes, my host has several web-cart systems, but none of them will work as a standalone cart...

yeah, I know about the paypal cart -- but's pretty ugly ... that was plan B. Also, the paypal cart won't help update my item quantities...

thanks for your reply!

Florian

There are a few threads on this topic lurking around the forums. The short answer is yes, but not without some fairly extensive modification.

-jared

Archived