• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

expanding Quick Find search results

nathanoneal

I am new to osCommerce (setting up my first store now) and the guy I'm helping with this needs the search function (that little Quick Find part) to return results from both the product name and the product description. He wants this to happen by default... not having to go through the advanced search link.

Thanks in advance!

Nathan

In /catalog/includes/boxes/search.php

find

$info_box_contents = array();
 $info_box_contents[] = array('form' => tep_draw_form('quick_find', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH_RESULT, '', 'NONSSL', false), 'get'),
						   'align' => 'center',
						   'text' => tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="30" style="width: ' . (BOX_WIDTH-30) . 'px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH) . '<br>' . BOX_SEARCH_TEXT . '<br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH) . '"><b>' . BOX_SEARCH_ADVANCED_SEARCH . '</b></a>');

new infoBox($info_box_contents);

and replace with

$info_box_contents = array();
 $info_box_contents[] = array('form' => tep_draw_form('quick_find', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH_RESULT, '', 'NONSSL', false), 'get'),
						   'align' => 'center',
						   'text' => '<input type="hidden" name="search_in_description" value="1" />' . tep_draw_input_field('keywords', '', 'size="10" maxlength="30" style="width: ' . (BOX_WIDTH-30) . 'px"') . ' ' . tep_hide_session_id() . tep_image_submit('button_quick_find.gif', BOX_HEADING_SEARCH) . '<br />' . BOX_SEARCH_TEXT . '<br /><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADVANCED_SEARCH) . '"><b>' . BOX_SEARCH_ADVANCED_SEARCH . '</b></a>');

new infoBox($info_box_contents);

That did the trick for me.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Glad I could help. Took me a few moments to figure out in the first place but here we go.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Thanks abra! How about being able to search sub-category names? So far I can search Main Category and product name but not the sub-category (parent of product).

For example CD's (Category) >> Artist (Sub-Category) >> CD Title (Product) ... I am unable to search for Artists.

So you would like to show up sub category names as well. That's a bit trickier as you would need to make changes to the search query. If I have time later on I'll have a look. Otherwise you could put the artist name in the product title for a quick workaround.

abra

Archived