• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Finally up and running L I V E! (Toyota Parts store)

jkchang

http://www.LongoParts.com

We're the largest Toyota/Scion dealership in the world and have never really touched on internet parts/service. After trying to find someone to start it up for a few years, they had given up... One day, I was offered the job (haha) and thought it'd be a nice way to establish myself within the company.

This is my first e-commerce project. I've designed basic/intermediate sites for a few customers (friend's modile audio/custom install shop, suspension display, gallery displays, etc) but have never taken on a *serious* project like this.

The basic "feel" I was aiming at for the index was an introduction to who we are and what we are offering. I think I got that point across OK. As for categories, I think the names are too cluttered since I've added the model years, so I may remove them and add application years in each category. Item descriptions are short and CORNY!! because they are taken direct from the Toyota guide.

Any feedback/tips would be appreciated. I think it's not too bad for a first timer, but then again, there are millions of related sites out there to compete with.

Thanks,

Jeff

I hope you make full use of your stylesheet and add some colour to the site as it has potential - it'll be a shame to see it with stock grey.

I would personally take out the column right and add fixed width as it allows to more space on the product info pages and allows a background image or colour as well.

Good Luck

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

I am sorry to be negative but if you are the largest toyota dealership in the world then you need to work on the design of your site - it looks like a small dealership selling online as a past time

be brave and expand your imagination - have you thought about a template maybe

you have the makings of a fantastic site so lets not lt it down on design

regards

mark

Regards

Mark A Reynolds

Thanks for the criticism. Management was more concerned with getting the page up before I add style changes. This was the 'quick fix' default (Toyota Colors, as seen all over our service bays, are Gray and Red) style to at least give a Toyota feel.

I just started reading up on CSS and PHP 2 weeks ago, so I'll make some changes once the site is running at full throttle.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

I've updated the color scheme and am currently looking into revising the current design.

Also, made my first sale today! (yay)! Now I'm at about a .25% (lol) conversion rate! Keep 'em coming.

Your thumbnails for product images arnt realy thumbnails and one of the ones I nabbed was 40 kilobyes.... Really big for a thumbnail and it was fairly slow in loading up the images(on cable internet) due to this fact. Not that I can recommend anything else on fixing it cause I am very new.... but its an observation.

Dave

Your thumbnails for product images arnt realy thumbnails and one of the ones I nabbed was 40 kilobyes.... Really big for a thumbnail and it was fairly slow in loading up the images(on cable internet) due to this fact. Not that I can recommend anything else on fixing it cause I am very new.... but its an observation.

Dave

I actually noticed that, but tried to use lower quality pictures (which was a bad idea) and shrinking the pictures (a so-so idea).

The lower quality pictures... just didn't look good. The thumbnails, unfortunately, use the same "normal size" pictures I provide for products. I couldn't find a contribution that will allow thumbs to be a separate file (yet). It's something I'm considering to fix in the coming weeks though. Thanks!

I actually noticed that, but tried to use lower quality pictures (which was a bad idea) and shrinking the pictures (a so-so idea).

The lower quality pictures... just didn't look good. The thumbnails, unfortunately, use the same "normal size" pictures I provide for products. I couldn't find a contribution that will allow thumbs to be a separate file (yet). It's something I'm considering to fix in the coming weeks though. Thanks!

I know it can be done only because we do it on the site I am working on. Except I stepped into an established site site that is 3 years old so have no idea what was done to set it up. Good luck.

Dave

David

In case you haven't used one already you could consider one of these contributions for the images which will reduce their size down dynamically

That way you can maintain their higher reolution and quality images

Regards

Mark

Regards

Mark A Reynolds

The contribution called Image Magic is quite good - it'll be ideal for your site.

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Installed: OnTheFly_GDThumbs_1_5_1

Works like a charm! It's nice to have thumbs at 2-4kb vs 30+ kb resized originals.

Thanks everyone! That will definitely help folks with slower connections. I'll be looking into rearranging the layout, but I think it's functional as is and might be fine. I'm also increasing the product count and cross-linking products between categories (ie. suspension can be placed in the car's category, suspension category, etc) which should help with navigation.

Any other suggestions? =]

You Longo guys are huge. Surprised the management doesn't give you the budget and manpower to really go big with it.

Suggestions:

1) Remove stock clipart everywhere

2) Put "Toyota" the top manufacturer in the list

3) There is no manufacturer called "Aftermarket" they're all aftermarket (except Toyota) :D

4) Remove "Tein" if you don't have any of their products in the products yet

5) Remove the category counts

6) Make the left colum wider to make the category box look better

7) The Scion tC category image doesn't match the other category images. Should make everything consistent

I was about to show the website of another local dealership using OSC to have you get some ideas, but unfortunately they don't use OSC anymore. It was Performance Nissan out of Duarte. Now I guess they stopped using OSC and have jumped ship for a commercial cart <_< . They had a good part by vehicle look up feature too.

BIG mistake for them though. OSC can do everything the other guy can do it and more. Now they lose the flexibility that OSCommerce can provide.

I ♥ PHP/MYSQL/CSS

Archived