• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

how long should it take to setup oscommerce ?

voytek

Hi,

I'm looking for a guesstimate from some folks experienced in oscommerce:

this is NOT from technical perspective, but, business perspective

if one was going to setup oscommerce for an end user/shop operator:

- how many hours (minutes ?) would you guys allow to setup and configure oscommerce to suit an end user?

- how many hours would you allow for hands-on training in operation ?

assuming out of the box install. (oh, yes, and how long piece of string do I need...)

thanks for any advice,

Voytek

Hi,

I'm looking for a guesstimate from some folks experienced in oscommerce:

this is NOT from technical perspective, but, business perspective

if one was going to setup oscommerce for an end user/shop operator:

- how many hours (minutes ?) would you guys allow to setup and configure oscommerce to suit an end user?

- how many hours would you allow for hands-on training in operation ?

assuming out of the box install. (oh, yes, and how long piece of string do I need...)

thanks for any advice,

Voytek

Most of Hosting Control Panel has some place that auto-installs osCommerce.

If you need a difference version or something like that, you'll have this steps:

1- Uploading files (~20 min?)

2- Creating databases (5 min)

3- Setting Files (5min)

4- Installing it throug install (5 min)

5- Deleting/rename what is needed, set as readonly what is needed (5 min)

6- Add some stuff like languages or mods (5 min)

So, basically will take half an hour. 1 hour top in the first time.

Setup the store? Well, about 20 minutes. It is quite simple to use, so, I would say that in 1 and a half hour the service is done.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Getting the store installed and working takes very little time. Most ISP's provide the OSC installer which sets the store up for you after you've answered a few basic questions. There are some values that need setting up in Admin area (which also needs securing) and of course products will need uploading but this can all be done within a couple of hours.

What takes the most time are external factors. For example - you may want to take credit cards online and want to use the Authorize.net module - but for that you will need to contact your bank and ask them to set you up with an online merchant account before A.net will even look at you. This can take several days, even weeks (depending on how strict their approval process is).

Similarly you may want to use FedEx or USPS for your shipping - again you will need accounts with these companies which will take a bit of time to set up before you can plug OSC into them and use them.

You may not like the stock functionality and want to change it (or may have additional requirements) in which case contributions will have to be installed. I doubt you'd like the look of the stock install (with it's grey colours and clip art everywhere) so you have to factor in time to change this as well.

Archived