• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

CSS help needed with left column menu

GadgetsGuy

I have a big problem with the CSS in my column_left.php

I created a navigation menu in CSS, and called the freestanding file navigation.php and saved it in the boxes directory. I replaced the existing navigation with my navigation.php file

Everything works fine in W3C compliant browsers such as Firefox and Opera, but has been nothing short of a NIGHTMARE in Internet Explorer!

I finally got the menu to display using the hollyhack for IE, but now the problem I have is that the CSS styles from the menu are wreaking havoc with the rest of the column_left.php boxes, and offsetting them all in IE

Could anybody help me to fix this problem - I am to the point where I'd even be willing to pay somebody for some help if they can correct the rendering to work proper in IE

My store is http://firstclassinks.co.uk/shop/

Thanking in advanced for any help I may get ...

I have a big problem with the CSS in my column_left.php

I created a navigation menu in CSS, and called the freestanding file navigation.php and saved it in the boxes directory. I replaced the existing navigation with my navigation.php file

Everything works fine in W3C compliant browsers such as Firefox and Opera, but has been nothing short of a NIGHTMARE in Internet Explorer!

I finally got the menu to display using the hollyhack for IE, but now the problem I have is that the CSS styles from the menu are wreaking havoc with the rest of the column_left.php boxes, and offsetting them all in IE

Could anybody help me to fix this problem - I am to the point where I'd even be willing to pay somebody for some help if they can correct the rendering to work proper in IE

My store is http://firstclassinks.co.uk/shop/

Thanking in advanced for any help I may get ...

I'm up for the job but your problem might be quite simple - the table structure ...

The left column starts as a <table>. All boxes are within cells which contain other tables. Your structure at the moment is:

<table>

<ul>

<li></li>

</ul>

<tr><td>another tables</td></tr>

Have you tried putting the <ul> within a <tr><td></td></tr> structure? My guess is that IE doesn't know how to place the <ul> within the table structure as it sort of just floats after <table>.

The main problem with osCom is that you just have to follow the table structure conventions - unless you rewrite the whole thing, it's nested tables all the way. Personally, I love designing in strict XML with CSS but for osCom I have learned to make an exception.

And of course once you look at the code mess, you might as well make the menu a nested table - it really won't make much difference, I'm sorry to say.

all the best, Terra

My code for combining PayPal IPN with ** QTPro 4.25 ** osC Affiliate ** CCGV(trad)

and how to solve the invoice already paid error

General info: Allow customer to delete order comment ** FTP Programs & Text Editors ** Amending order email **

I'm up for the job but your problem might be quite simple - the table structure ...

The left column starts as a <table>. All boxes are within cells which contain other tables. Your structure at the moment is:

<table>

<ul>

<li></li>

</ul>

Have you tried putting the <ul> within a <tr><td></td></tr> structure? My guess is that IE doesn't know how to place the <ul> within the table structure as it sort of just floats after <table>.

The main problem with osCom is that you just have to follow the table structure conventions - unless you rewrite the whole thing, it's nested tables all the way. Personally, I love designing in strict XML with CSS but for osCom I have learned to make an exception.

And of course once you look at the code mess, you might as well make the menu a nested table - it really won't make much difference, I'm sorry to say.

all the best, Terra

Thank you for your reply Terra, and you sound much more knowledgable than I at this ... Is there a way I can contact you either via ICQ, Yahoo, or email? My details are below

Yahoo!: myfoneforum

email: ceweblogs |AT| gmail.com

Archived