• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can this be done easily?

mschwarz

I am trying to do something similar to the page located here: http://www.drewcandle.com/products/fragrance.htm

Click the name a one of the fragrances and you get the different sizes of candles. You then can purchase the individual sizes. Is this easy to set up using a default install of osC?

Thank in advance.

~Mark

Hi Mark,

You can pretty much do exactly what they've done, if that's what you want to do. You will at the least need a contribution to display short descriptions such as this one called Product Description.

G'Luck.

Carlos

Carlos,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I'm trying something else here, but it's not working as expected.

Take a look at my test site here: http://mgscomputerservices.com/osCommerce/index.htm

Click on Florals and Soft Scents under Candle Fragrance Categories near the upper right hand area of the home page.

What I did was created "swatches" of each color for the scents. The I created sub-categories for each fragrence under the main folder (Florals and Soft Scents). This created the swatches lined up nicely (I've tried 3, 4 & 5 ups).

The problem now is that all the sub categories have shown up under the categories in the left hand menu and the individual products show up under the sub category "swatches" above. If you click on Shopping Cart or My Account or use the Search, the sub categories disappear from the left hand menu. The only page that is wrong is the inner_1.php page.

Can you tell me how to fix the output of this page? Or am I going about this wrong?

Thanks,

~Mark

Also,

When you click on a sub category (Florals and Soft Scents ? Baby Fresh is the only one set up for test purposes), you get the graphics of each candle. They are all different sizes. Do I need to size the graphics before uploading? Or is there a way to get the page to resize the image down, like it does on the details page?

Thanks,

~Mark

Also,

When you click on a sub category (Florals and Soft Scents ? Baby Fresh is the only one set up for test purposes), you get the graphics of each candle. They are all different sizes. Do I need to size the graphics before uploading? Or is there a way to get the page to resize the image down, like it does on the details page?

Thanks,

~Mark

Hey,

I don't know what categories contribution you have installed. Whatever it is, although it looks nice, it doesn't distinguish category levels - making it confusing some. As you must know, the default category display does show the different levels, and so do many other category contributions. I would have no idea of how to make whatever contribution you used, show the sub category levels. I would suggest that you find another category infobox display contribution to use.

Again, depending on what if any graphic display contribution is installed or not. If I'm not mistaken the default display allows you to upload one large product graphic, and then displays the thumbnail size according to what's set in the admin panel.

I have no idea what you have done to get the different product graphic sizes in Florals and Soft Scents ? Baby Fresh display. What I do know is that certainly you can make them all the same size, and more uniform looking, but it's a bit redundant seeing the slight variations of the same graphic.

It seemd to me that these things you are asking of really depend more on messing around with and/or tweaking the settings of the admin panel and the contributions you have installed, than they do of having any more than average knowledge of oscommerce.

Regards,

Carlos

Archived