• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

is pay pal enough ??

marczs

does anyone know if i install paypal module and create a paypal account , is it enough to enable my costumers to buy in my shop by credit card ?

To take payments you need a business account with PayPal (not just a personal account) - all the info is on the PayPal site, it's quite easy to set up. You need of course also be located in a country in which PayPal allows account users to accept payments (most are okay, but some like South Africa still can't take payments).

Also please be aware of the "paypal lost order" problem - a search on this forum will bring up all the info. basically, if a customer does not return to your site, you will have no order info, just payment.

all the best, Terra

My code for combining PayPal IPN with ** QTPro 4.25 ** osC Affiliate ** CCGV(trad)

and how to solve the invoice already paid error

General info: Allow customer to delete order comment ** FTP Programs & Text Editors ** Amending order email **

Yes. Although there is an option in the paypal settings to allow customers without a paypal account to purchase.

Jack

Hi jack ,thanks ! So if i understand it , neither menor my costumers need to have a paypal account . I only need to setup the module and my costumers would be allowed to pay via credit card and money will be sent to my account ?

Hi jack ,thanks ! So if i understand it , neither menor my costumers need to have a paypal account . I only need to setup the module and my costumers would be allowed to pay via credit card and money will be sent to my account ?

Your customers do not need to sign up, but YOU will need to get either a Premier, or a Business account in order to be able to accept Credit/Debit cards. When they pay for an order, the money is deposited in your Paypal account and then you can withdraw it to your own bank account (takes about 5 days I think, minimum withdrawal ?50)).

i have paypal as payment option, my site is not yet live, i just heard about the paypal order not being recorded, can you please provide details of either the topic or any contributios to correct this error

I've been using Paypal on eBay for over 5 years. Based on my experience, get a regular mechant account!! DO NOT USE PAYPAL!

They have stolen money from me when a customer disputed an item after they received it. Since it was not an on-line trackable item (Priority Mail, no delivery confirmation), I lost $432.00 simply because I had no way to prove I sent it, even though I had a post office receipt showing it was sent! After that, I paid for DC out of pocket. Paypal only acknowledges shipped items that are trackable on-line!!! Now the customer has my item and my money! I removed Paypal from my site.

I never lost a dispute with my regular merchant account. The will accept any proof that it was shipped (PO receipt faxed to them, etc.).

Don't forget: If a customer uses a credit card through Paypal, and the customer disputes the charge through their credit card company instead of Paypal, you must rely on Paypal to fight for your money on your behalf. They act only as an intermediary, so they have nothing to loose if the customer wins.

The last time it took them 96 days (over 3mo.) to complete a case in the customer's favor.

If a customer charges direct with you, you have much easier process to recover your money, and 99% of the time you win the dispute and it usually takes only about 30-45 days since you are dealing direct with the credit card company.

You do know that whenever there's a dispute, Paypal or direct merchant account, the disputed amount comes directly out of your checking account without any notice to you and placed on hold by both Paypal or credit card company until the dispute is settled.

BTW I use Authorize.net as the gateway.

There is no on-line tracking system to ship items to other countries using the post office. Without on-line tracking, you automatically loose with Paypal. FexEx, UPS and DHL have tracking only for express items.

I decided to pay the few extra dollars to use Authorize.net then risk using Paypal.

then just set the paypal module's form to include the auto-return variable

tep_draw_hidden_field('rm', 2) .

or use one of the logging orders contribution.

hey what if i do not want to install paypal_ipn, there is already paypal that comes with every oscommerce new installation.
It doesn't work correctly and you will lose orders.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, use that one. I can't speak for the latest version since I don't have any experience with it. V 1.1 works fine for my sites.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

then just set the paypal module's form to include the auto-return variable

or use one of the logging orders contribution.

hi, engima, you said to replace this line of code, i saw this in one of the cont. is it going to work right, i am really worried, as i have paypal as the only payment option. i tried to make a test order using sandbox but it didn't work. can you tell in details what to replace with, or installing the official paypal ipn is the only solution, thanks

We use Paypal as our only payment option, however we are seriously looking into a proper merchant account, as we have lost orders by only offering Paypal.

If a customer has their credit card linked to a Paypal account that they do not know the password to, or they cannot access for some reason, they cannot pay by Paypal. Paypal will not let any payment by a card that is registered to one of their accounts pay without creating an account. I can see why they would do this - stopping credit card theft etc, however it is very frustrating!

Also we are a UK company and because of the amount of bad UK coverage (in papers and BBC's Watchdog) people are getting wary of it.

We have looked into various other merchant accounts and the main reason we haven't done anything so far is because Paypal is by far the cheapest.

Jemma

my question is not about that, i know small sellers can't afford a merchant account, left with only one option (paypal), i would like to get answer to my question in post #17

so you open the catalog\includes\modules\payment\paypal.php

locate this code

tep_draw_hidden_field('currency_code', $my_currency) .

add beneath

I personally use the default paypal module for my store (no sandbox) but I had to customize it heavily to not lose orders. I did that because there're other gateways and I prefer a simple procedure for every gateway to work (meaning to use the default modules) so orders are pre-recorded. It's the best approach because the ipn complicates things and it's just for a single gateway. And when you start adding other contributions that alter files in the checkout process you have to keep in mind the ipn code. Not very good.

hey is there a way i can make a test order, i tried creating a sandbox, but then it converted to a real account. do you have a sandbox account, can you test it for me. it would be really helpful, as only changing the codes will help to a extent , but then i need to confirm before making it live to customers

Archived