• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Idiots Guide to Header Tags - what goes where?

owl17sb

I seem to have spent this morning asking dumb questions and getting a bit confused over what I need to do and what I should not do when it comes to getting my site live on Search Engines!!

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

My site is more or less - visually - ready. I am now concentrating on getting it on Google etc. I have installed Header Tags Controller but I am a bit confusted as to what goes where in terms of the different boxes and what they all mean

In admin.... I have a seperate module now called Header Tags and within that are 3 options.

PAGE CONTROL - I know this is basic but what would I use this for? Is this purely if I create a new page within my site I can then add it here and give it keywords etc.

TEXT CONTROL - What is the difference between Default ..... and Index..... bits on this page.

If I did a search within say Google - and I get the results you get a title and then underneath a bit of blurb that sometimes describes the site. Some of these appears to be a combination of words other results seem to have meaningfull sentences. Where would all this be defined - Is this the Default Title bit.

On my individual products pages - I now have 3 boxes on Meta Tags - Called Product Title, Product Description and Product Keyword. These have populated automatically with a variety of information from

the boxes above - some of it is useful - some is not. I appreciate I can change it but I'm not sure of what sort of things I should be changing it to.

I guess my real question is - Is there a list of what each of the boxes do and what sort of thing should you put in them. My site is for greeting cards so there would be loads of products with the title of Birthday Card or Anniversary Card - but I read that you should try and make your title and keyword different for each product otherwise this could go against you.

Any pointers on this would be a great help - even if the help is to buy a book that will explain it in an idiots guide - simple terms. I have looked at various books but they all seem to be very tekki talk and I don't understand them.

Thanks in advance.

:)

With the header tags controller go to the admin>header tags>Fill tags This will auto fill all of the boxes for you.

If you use easypopulate use the products name as v_products_header_title_1, v_products_header_desc_1, and v_products_keywords HTC uses the productsname for all of the info boxes that you are refering to.

Hope This Helps

With the header tags controller go to the admin>header tags>Fill tags This will auto fill all of the boxes for you.

If you use easypopulate use the products name as v_products_header_title_1, v_products_header_desc_1, and v_products_keywords HTC uses the productsname for all of the info boxes that you are refering to.

Hope This Helps

Thanks Eric but I am still a bit confused. I did do the "Fill Tags" but as I sell greetings cards the product title on each product is the name I have called that particular card, the description is the dimensions of the card cos that is what I have put in the product description and the keyword is the name of the card again.

I have started to change the keywords to more appropriate like handmade,greetings, etc but I'm not sure if I am doing this right.

Any ideas

Archived