• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Fallen at the first post - Installation

I am wanting to set up osCommerce on a test site so I can see what it is like and check it does what I need.

I have uploaded the Catalogue folder to my Geocities BT web space but then it tell me to run phpMyAdmin to create a database.

In the long run I would probably use 1and1 as my ISP who provide mySQL but what about BT?

Is it part of the osCommerce install or would I need to put mysql on my web site first or is it not possible to do?

I have never used mySQL before so home you can assist with simple instructions.

Thanks

You need to have a database created before installing osC. Forget Geocities, you won't be able to run osC on there. I wouldn't bother with BT either, I built a site for a client, hosted on BT and it is pretty basic. I think you have to pay through the nose for all the bells and whistles.

You need to have a database created before installing osC. Forget Geocities, you won't be able to run osC on there. I wouldn't bother with BT either, I built a site for a client, hosted on BT and it is pretty basic. I think you have to pay through the nose for all the bells and whistles.

your host should have windows or linux servers with php installed. if u have windows, asp also needs to be installed to allow you to run php sites - most hosts charge extra for this. you also need a mysql database run on a server running mysql - again hosts charge for this.

i would go for a specialized website hosting company - forget bt - they're more intersted in making money than being a website host, and geocities/yahoo/aol etc - the isp's that give u free webspace - will not meet your needs.

www.fasthosts.co.uk is a good hosting company - they have different packages to suit your needs at competitive prices (they are by far the most competitive i've found in terms of what they offer), their domain names are dirt cheap and their telephone/email support is excellent. they also provide mysql database servers. most of their packages you can only host one site on (one domain name) but if you are looking to host several websites then go for their reseller account for ?50per month you can host as many sites as you want, no bandwidth limits, no upload/downoad limits, unlimited email, etc etc etc. this will enable u to set up a couple of sites so u can play with them and see what you need.

hope that helps

if u have windows, asp also needs to be installed to allow you to run php sites

Sorry, but that's total nonsense. ASP is Microsofts' Active Server Page technology, a rival to PHP - and is nothing to do with PHP.

www.fasthosts.co.uk is a good hosting company

Fine, if you want to run html or ASP based sites, but for PHP based sites they are hopeless. They charge ?45 a year for a shared SSL (most hosts provide it in their hosting packages), they charge extra for each Password Protected folder you want, and their Xtreme Support has the nickname of Xtremely Useless Support.

Vger

Archived