• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Contest 1.0 Support Thread

jrwrestling

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having serious problems getting this to work. I've done the Contest 1.02 install, and the Contest Upgrade. Here are my current issues:

1) [EDIT] SOLVED: I didn't notice the Promo Prize Giveaway flag in the Admin/Configuration Box: The Contest Box does not load in the left column. Hacking the script to get rid of the "CONTEST= TRUE" portion lets it load. However, with the original script, nothing I do will make it load. I've tried adding and deleting multiple contest items, in various configurations to see if anything works. Nothing seems to.

2) [EDIT] SOLVED: I didn't notice the Promo Prize Giveaway flag in the Admin/Configuration Box:The "enter_contest.php" page won't load either, unless I again hack the script to remove the "CONTEST=TRUE" portion. This leads me to believe that this check is failing for both modules. While I can manually hack them to allow for the contest pages to work, it would be better if I could turn it on and off in the Admin panel.

3) Registering: If the person already exists in the system, and they enter the contest, I get the "You are already a member and will be automatically entered into our monthly Prize Giveaway Draw !!!" line, but it does NOT enter them in the contest. Again, tried this multiple ways, with no luck.

4) If the person does NOT already exist in the system, they are taken to the standard OSC Registration page, but they ARE entered in the contest, even if they don't register. Is this normal? Should the system not allow contest entry until after registration?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ok, after going back an reading more about this contribution, I see it is working as designed. Existing account holders don't get added to the Contestants page, and new registrants are automatically entered.

I would love to see it changed so that only people who come back to the site to register for the contests get added to the Contestants Admin page.

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking....

It would be nice to have a way to find people that are abusing the contest system by creating multiple customer accounts and registering for the contest using each account.

Im not sure what would help. Im guessing a good start would be to monitir IP's at time of contest registration..so if they register under both accounts on the same computer you could tell. Maybe a check if any registrants are in the same zip code? Any ideas? Anybody capable of doing any of the above, esp the IP idea?

This is a descent idea--I would assume there would be some code you could add to check if the address or zip matches--the zip wouldnt be so useful since in one zip code there can be many thousands of people.

Right now I cant figure how to do it--are you experiencing fraud?

I havent yet that I am aware of--it is time consuming but you can check the winner against all the other entrants addresses? But there must be a simple script to test this also

"I must admit that I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings."

---Margaret Mead---

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer -- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.

--Ken Kesey"

Well I know some were trying to enter several time. Id be surprised if they didnt get multiple free email accounts and make multiple customer accounts on my store just to get more chances to win. Ill assume they are smart enough to at least use a friends address each time so that the addresses are not all the same.....thats why I mentioned zip code. Chances for me that a couple people in the same zip code entered my specific contest arent real high. IP address recording is probably the best bet.

I have added the banned emails v1.2 mod code to the contest to eliminate entrants who use free email domains like yahoo and hotmail etc.

As far as ip recording .. might help a bit but most peoples ip's change frequently unless they are commercial domains. Every time my power goes out or I reset my router/gateway I am assigned a new ip

There might be a better way like assigning a unique confirmation code ie. F56y8TKlWb ... much like the gift voucher system does and other mods. By sending a verification email like the Email Validation mod does ... and having them have to verify by clicking the link in their registered email address might cut down on a lot of bogus entries.

I have been thinking about this stuff and if I get some time will work on it and release anything I come up with.

• 3 weeks later...

Just came across a new issue. Im assuming it just recently started since I dont remember seeing this problem before but have no idea why it would just now start.

In the admin section when I go to the 'promo prize giveaways' page in the catalog section:

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #2 is not an array in /home2/mydomain/public_html/catalog/admin/contest.php on line 91

Warning: reset() [function.reset]: Passed variable is not an array or object in /home2/mydomain/public_html/catalog/admin/includes/classes/object_info.php on line 17

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in /home2/mydomain/public_html/catalog/admin/includes/classes/object_info.php on line 18

Any ideas on a fix or why it would just start happening?

Oh, as far as the above post about banned IP's. Since it's setup to force the contest entrant to sign up for a customer account I dont want to keep them from using hotmail/yahoo mail/etc since they are so common.

• 2 weeks later...

So...my first contest just ended. The infobox that displayed the item and signup link is gone, which it should be. The 'enter to win!!' link in the information infobox is still present, which shows the list of everybody that entered. So how is this designed....so that I have to manually delete every entrant? Or should I just set them as inactive with the red status buttons? If I do that, can they enter next months contest?

Im thinking there should be a 'clear all' option here to delete all the old entrants after the contest ends.....?

I agree--a clear all option is best, like in your inbox for email--it is annoying to go thru and delete 100 or more entrants one ata time at the beginning of the month! If you come up with this specific fix I want it!

"I must admit that I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings."

---Margaret Mead---

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer -- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.

--Ken Kesey"

Hello,

I have installed your contribution Prize ContestV1.02

in our store http://affiliatesexcel.com

Everything seems to have installed correctly and I can configure the

admin menu and add a product as prize and set an end date.

However when someone click the link to enter and then fill the name and

E mail address field and click the process button noyhing happens, the

page simply refresh. I can't see any error message.

Can someone please take a look and suggest why the form is not working

and the database not written to ?

I can't see your site www.terracomp.ca as well as it seems to be down

Cheers

Shred

I have just worked out why it was not working, it was due to having search engine safe URLS turned on, is there any way to get this running with that enabled?

Have you found a solution for SEO URL conflict for contest ?

Could you please let me know the code section in enter_contest.php

you suspect to create the problem ?

Cheers

Shred

Have you found a solution for SEO URL conflict for contest ?

Could you please let me know the code section in enter_contest.php

you suspect to create the problem ?

Cheers

Shred

Wonder if the problem is with this line of code

<body onLoad="document.getElementById('contestant_name').focus();if (document.getElementById('contestant_name').value != '') {document.getElementById('contestant_email').focus();};" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" bottommargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0">

• 1 month later...

Hi

Have just installed contest 1.0 and the upgrade, and get this error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_db_connect() (previously declared in /hsphere/local/home/mattak/danefood.dk/admin/includes/functions/database.php:13) in /hsphere/local/home/mattak/danefood.dk/admin/includes/functions/database.php on line 13

Some help?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey...

Ive just found this one and like it a much...

But my problem comes with the Simple template system that I have installed. Ive done it all with the column_left.php, so that the window on th eleft wshows, as the STS system requires. All other windows open normaly in the center, only the window that shows at th estart page of my store, destroys all the tables....

Any idea what I mean and how to solve that?

P.

Hi all,

I'm gettin this mess errors :

Warning: Division by zero in /home/rezolles/public_html/includes/classes/split_page_results.php on line 86

Warning: Division by zero in /home/rezolles/public_html/includes/classes/split_page_results.php on line 89

Am i missing something?

• 1 month later...

Ok, I've installed this module and most everything is working. But what I don't get is once the contest is over, what is supposed to happen? No where does it go into detail as to what happens after the contest has ended. I've set it up to end on feb 3 2007. and nothing has happened so far. So, I have many questions like, when does it end...12 midnight morning, or 11:59 night. I'm still waiting and No winners or no action. This module is supposed to select a winner correct? Also, does it clear out the entries so you can start a new contest? There needs to be more clarification in the contibute area as to what this module does from beginning to end.

If I could get this module to work, it would be one of my most favorite modules. But, our contest has ended and nothing has happened on the backened or anywhere. No winner was selected and nothing posted. Names keep piling up of registrants for an expired contest. So, I guess I have to pick the winner manually and purge the database manually, which is defeating the purpose of this contrib? Can someone explain the point of this module in more detail and how it's supposed to work and function in the backend admin area?

I have a problem as well and hoping somebody can help me fix it...

I installed and checked the installation 3 times now... everything is places into scripts, my admin area has all the right right menu buttons... although my contest stuff doesnt show up on my site

http://pm.ct-wholesale.com/

Another problem is that when I go to enter_contest.php it doesnt complete loading the page... see for yourself

http://pm.ct-wholesale.com/enter_contest.php

I am hoping somebody can help me with all these problems because I am desperate to get a contest running on my website... hoping anyone can help me...

The person that helps me figure it out... will get a good suprise from pm.ct-wholesale.com :)

email: [email protected]

or PM, or post a soluton here please!!!

Hey all....

I have a small problem with this contrib.

When going to admin to check out who has signed into the contest, I get:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_get_contestants_name() in /home/hiskad/domains/hiskadobrot.com/public_html/trgovina/blondrula/contest.php on line 282

any ideas why this happens?

The info gets written into the database, but its kind inconvinient to check the base directly to get the info.

Thanks

P.

Archived