• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Meta Tags For Your osC Shop

toyicebear

ive just installed the cDynamic Meta Tags v1.0 add on, and ive folloed the read me installation doc. however im getting the following error in my browser when i try to load my shop

Warning: main(includes/functions/meta.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /homepages/20/d283444189/htdocs/catalog/includes/meta_tags.php on line 54

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/functions/meta.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php') in /homepages/20/d283444189/htdocs/catalog/includes/meta_tags.php on line 54

whats gone wrong?

You have not added all the required files from the add-on

thgis one is missing

includes/functions/meta.php

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will someone please check my temp site Visit My Website and see if I set up the cDynamic Tags correctly. I had to change information in the DB to get keywords and descriptions on the index page. I would like to know if I did the install correctly before moving it to the active site.

I am trying to get a feel on the Meta Tag thing. I noticed the title in the browser at the top changed. Is this Good?

Thank for your help in advance

Mike

Do or Do Not, there is no try.

Hi for cDinamic metatag, why do I get the bold text

<META NAME="Description" Content="Hewlett Packard LaserJet 1100Xi (HPLJ1100XI) by Hewlett Packard - HP has always set the pace in laser printing technology. The new generation HP LaserJet 1100 series sets another impressive pace, delivering a stunning 8 pages...">

<META NAME="Keywords" Content="hewlett packard laserjet 1100xi, hplj1100xi, hardware, printers, store_keyword">

for item description page

and

<META NAME="Description" Content="Hardware at - STORE_METDEX">

<META NAME="Keywords" Content="hardware, graphics cards, printers, monitors, speakers, keyboards, mice, memory, cdrom drives,">

for categories page.

in /catalog/includes/languages/english.php store name is set to kupuvalnik.com

Do I have to change somethig else?

Thanks a lot

OSC beginner

I think I found the problem. In the qsl file you have to specify the values for STORE_KEYWORD, STORE_METDEX and STORE_DESCRIPT.

The only problem is how do I do this for more than one language?

OSC beginner

I think I found the problem. In the qsl file you have to specify the values for STORE_KEYWORD, STORE_METDEX and STORE_DESCRIPT.

The only problem is how do I do this for more than one language?

Depends on which version of c-dynamic meta tags you use...

some versions store it in the db and you can edit it in your shops admin. (I am not sure if these versions are multi-lingual though)

The multi-lingual versions have a language file where it can be edited.

includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php

this file should ofcourse be edited in accordance to language used and added to any other languages folders in use at your site.

Depends on which version of c-dynamic meta tags you use...

some versions store it in the db and you can edit it in your shops admin. (I am not sure if these versions are multi-lingual though)

The multi-lingual versions have a language file where it can be edited.

includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php

this file should ofcourse be edited in accordance to language used and added to any other languages folders in use at your site.

Hi

I use cDynamic_Meta_Tags v1.5.3

and there is a meta_tags.php for every language. this has been translated for bulgarian.

the problem is with the sql file

INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES ('', 'Store Description', 'STORE_DESCRIPT', 'The Next Level Of osCommerce', 'Place your sites meta description here, for use with dynamic meta-tags<br>Leave empty for no description<br>', 1, 40, NULL, '2003-12-05 05:01:41', NULL,'tep_cfg_textarea(');
INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES ('', 'Store Index Description', 'STORE_METDEX', 'Productivity Sold Here', 'Place a seperate \r\nindex page meta description here, for use with dynamic meta-tags<br>Leave empty for no description<br>', 1, 41, NULL, '2003-12-05 05:01:41', NULL,'tep_cfg_textarea(');
INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES ('', 'Store Key Words', 'STORE_KEYWORD', 'ecommerce, oscommerce, shopping cart', 'Place your sites meta key words here, for use with dynamic meta-tags<br>', 1, 42, NULL, '2003-12-05 05:01:41', NULL,'tep_cfg_textarea(');

you can see it goes to configuration table and there are STORE_DESCRIPT, STORE_METDEX, STORE_KEYWORD, you can modify this, but only in one language. The name of every page is your pages details plus some of the above that can be only in one language. The linking words (from ...\lang\lang\meta_tags.php) are picked up for the proper language.

Any ideas will be appreciated

OSC beginner

Just use this version:

cDynamic Meta Tags v1.4 Didier Debbaut 11 May 2005

Its fully multi-lingual

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

this might be very easy to fix, but couldnt figure it out.

Now in the metatags, the description and the keywords are truncated after some symbols. Havent counted them but is there a way to increase this limit, so it will print my whole description and keywords.

On a sidenote, will this affect SEO at all or it doesnt matter. I have seen top 3 Google wesites with 50 words in the kyeword tag.

OSC beginner

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

this might be very easy to fix, but couldnt figure it out.

Now in the metatags, the description and the keywords are truncated after some symbols. Havent counted them but is there a way to increase this limit, so it will print my whole description and keywords.

On a sidenote, will this affect SEO at all or it doesnt matter. I have seen top 3 Google wesites with 50 words in the kyeword tag.

It can be adjusted...its currently set up to use "best practice" tag lengths

As a side not ...why you can see some sites with many keywords rank well ... that is not so strange keywords and meta tags are more or less "ignored" by Google and all the other major search engines.

The actual on page text is way more important in the search results

• 1 month later...
ive just installed the cDynamic Meta Tags v1.0 add on, and ive folloed the read me installation doc. however im getting the following error in my browser when i try to load my shop

Warning: main(includes/functions/meta.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /homepages/20/d283444189/htdocs/catalog/includes/meta_tags.php on line 54

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/functions/meta.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php') in /homepages/20/d283444189/htdocs/catalog/includes/meta_tags.php on line 54

whats gone wrong?

I am having the same problem. I now have three similar messages at the top of my website after installing Easy Meta Tags 1.6. I followed the install instructions exactly, but now I have these three error messages showing for all the world to see.

I didn't understand the response to your message (I'm a VERY new user). Do I need to install another add-on to go with the one I already installed?

Can you help me?

Jamie

I am having the same problem. I now have three similar messages at the top of my website after installing Easy Meta Tags 1.6. I followed the install instructions exactly, but now I have these three error messages showing for all the world to see.

I didn't understand the response to your message (I'm a VERY new user). Do I need to install another add-on to go with the one I already installed?

Can you help me?

Jamie

1. uninstall and remove files from other meta tags contribs which you might have added previously...the error abow is from cDynamic Meta Tags.

2. Easy meta tags install is very easy...

2.1 upload the file named , easy_meta_tags.php, included in the package into the /includes/ folder of your shop.

2.2 for any of the shop files you want meta tags: (typically, products_info.php , index.php and products_reviews_info.php)

you then just replace:

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

with

<?php include(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'easy_meta_tags.php'); ?>

1. uninstall and remove files from other meta tags contribs which you might have added previously...the error abow is from cDynamic Meta Tags.

2. Easy meta tags install is very easy...

2.1 upload the file named , easy_meta_tags.php, included in the package into the /includes/ folder of your shop.

2.2 for any of the shop files you want meta tags: (typically, products_info.php , index.php and products_reviews_info.php)

you then just replace:

with

Dear toyicebear,

THANK YOU SO MUCH! The mistake I had made was to upload the easy_meta_tags.ZIP rather tha .PHP. I uninstalled that and installed the correct file and it was all fixed.

Thank you so much!

Now would you be able to point me in the correct direction to find the support thread(?) that will tell me how to actually add the tags?

Sorry for my unending string of questions.

Thanks again,

Jamie

Dear toyicebear,

THANK YOU SO MUCH! The mistake I had made was to upload the easy_meta_tags.ZIP rather tha .PHP. I uninstalled that and installed the correct file and it was all fixed.

Thank you so much!

Now would you be able to point me in the correct direction to find the support thread(?) that will tell me how to actually add the tags?

Sorry for my unending string of questions.

Thanks again,

Jamie

Using Easy Meta Tags you do not add any tags, its all done automatically.

The only tags you add is for the frontpage and those are edited in the main language file .. ie. for english in includes/languages/english.php

Easy Meta tags support tread...

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am new in SEO,

Please tell me how to install meta tags in v2.2.

AnandSEO.

Hi

I use cDynamic_Meta_Tags v1.5.3

and there is a meta_tags.php for every language. this has been translated for bulgarian.

the problem is with the sql file

INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES ('', 'Store Description', 'STORE_DESCRIPT', 'The Next Level Of osCommerce', 'Place your sites meta description here, for use with dynamic meta-tags<br>Leave empty for no description<br>', 1, 40, NULL, '2003-12-05 05:01:41', NULL,'tep_cfg_textarea(');
INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES ('', 'Store Index Description', 'STORE_METDEX', 'Productivity Sold Here', 'Place a seperate \r\nindex page meta description here, for use with dynamic meta-tags<br>Leave empty for no description<br>', 1, 41, NULL, '2003-12-05 05:01:41', NULL,'tep_cfg_textarea(');
INSERT INTO `configuration` VALUES ('', 'Store Key Words', 'STORE_KEYWORD', 'ecommerce, oscommerce, shopping cart', 'Place your sites meta key words here, for use with dynamic meta-tags<br>', 1, 42, NULL, '2003-12-05 05:01:41', NULL,'tep_cfg_textarea(');

you can see it goes to configuration table and there are STORE_DESCRIPT, STORE_METDEX, STORE_KEYWORD, you can modify this, but only in one language. The name of every page is your pages details plus some of the above that can be only in one language. The linking words (from ...\lang\lang\meta_tags.php) are picked up for the proper language.

Any ideas will be appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am new in SEO,

Please tell me how to install meta tags in v2.2.

AnandSEO.

Just use Easy Meta Tags instead, it has a very easy install.. you can find it here...

• 4 weeks later...

The following needs to be added to this thread, requires PHP 5.2+:

KissMT Dynamic SEO Meta & Canonical Header Tags

KissMT Dynamic SEO Meta & Canonical Header Tags

This contribution inserts meta tags automatically for your shops pages incl. products and categories.

It also have further seo optimization, Google breadcrumbs, canonical page tags ++++

The meta tags are cached for shortest possible execution time, lower server load and faster page load time.

Requires PHP Version: 5.2.0+

Install

Install is very easy and straight forward.

Pros:

- Very easy install

- Easy on server resources due to caching

- Creates all your meta tags automatically for any amount of categories/products.

- Google breadcrumb

- Canonical Page tags (Prevents duplicate content penalties)

- Further SEO optimization

- Has category description as an optional add-in.

Cons

- You can not enter your product/category meta tags manually

Conclusion

This is a very good seo tool for those who have a pre-populated shop with many categories and products or for those who fill up their products using feed import as well as it is a very easy server load which is more and more important the larger your product/category numbers get.

Also its a good tool for those who want to have meta tags and titles but who do not want to manually insert them.

Last but not least if the header tags install is to much for you, then the easy install of this one will probably appeal to you.

Link to contrib....

• 2 years later...

After reading most pages here the content seems now outdated

Why?

My store is running with the mobile contribution and about 2 months ago I changed the mobile site to include extra simple meta tags like description and keywords taken from product title as this will also be required for mobile browsers searching Google and so.

The strange thing is it was now outperforming the catalogue side according to its seo values

This was certainly not a good move towards my online shop catalogue which then ranked a few places or pages on as customers gets to mobile site and seemed bit strange for a shopping site.

I think seo for any shopping site is a nightmare if not done right as it seriously hurts the seo part

Any good views on what the meta title, description and keywords should be and how many characters for this tags?

Any views on this please

Getting the Phoenix off the ground

• 1 month later...

If you only want the product name to fill the metas like with the header tags auto fill function, you can actually achive that without installing any meta contrib.

It requires a very small modification of the file product_info.php

Here is how you do it....

Locate this:

and replace it with this:

locate this code: (about line 72 )

now mark this code section in the file and right click and choose "cut"

then locate this pice of code at the top of the file:

Right under this you then just past inn the section you marked previously.

after you have done so it will look like this:

Thats it.....now all your products will have the products name as tittle, meta description and meta keyword. (Just like if you had been using header tags and the auto fill function)

This is awesome! And you can use it with Easy Populate to make it big changes fast and easily!

Nick, one more thing with this.

You talk about the index.php.

Is it possible to use fields in the product_description to populate the meta tags on category pages in the same way as the product_info?

I think I know the answer but I want to check!

Is it possible to use fields in the product_description to populate the meta tags on category pages in the same way as the product_info?

For index.php / category pages you better add it into categories_description

To complete this little meta hack..here is how to do it in the index.php file....

find this code at the top of the index.php file:

Directly under it past in this:

Then find this:

and replace it with this:

Now for the last part , in includes/languages/english.php (and/or any other languages you use)

find this

and right under add this:

I tried this but I get this error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ']' in /home/***/public_html/index.php on line 91

This is line 91

<title><?php echo $category_name['categories_name']; ?></title>

I'm stumped, granted, that does not take a lot, but any help appreciated all the same....

Pasting this in does not cause any errors

if (isset($_GET['cPath'])) {

$category_name_query = tep_db_query("select cd.categories_name from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

$category_name = tep_db_fetch_array($category_name_query);

}

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {

$manufacturers_name_query = tep_db_query("select m.manufacturers_name from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " m where m.manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . "'");

$manufacturers_name = tep_db_fetch_array($manufacturers_name_query);

}

After reading most pages here the content seems now outdated

Why?

My store is running with the mobile contribution and about 2 months ago I changed the mobile site to include extra simple meta tags like description and keywords taken from product title as this will also be required for mobile browsers searching Google and so.

The strange thing is it was now outperforming the catalogue side according to its seo values

This was certainly not a good move towards my online shop catalogue which then ranked a few places or pages on as customers gets to mobile site and seemed bit strange for a shopping site.

I think seo for any shopping site is a nightmare if not done right as it seriously hurts the seo part

Any good views on what the meta title, description and keywords should be and how many characters for this tags?

Any views on this please

You have 2 sites with the same content? The only difference being one is for mobile the other for PCs?

I tried this but I get this error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ']' in /home/***/public_html/index.php on line 91

This is line 91

I'm stumped, granted, that does not take a lot, but any help appreciated all the same....

Pasting this in does not cause any errors

if (isset($_GET['cPath'])) {

$category_name_query = tep_db_query("select cd.categories_name from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

$category_name = tep_db_fetch_array($category_name_query);

}

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {

$manufacturers_name_query = tep_db_query("select m.manufacturers_name from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " m where m.manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . "'");

$manufacturers_name = tep_db_fetch_array($manufacturers_name_query);

}

to clarify, this seems to be causing an issue

<?php if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) { ?>

<title><?php echo $manufacturers_name['manufacturers_name']; ?></title>

<meta name="description" content="<?php echo $manufacturers_name['manufacturers_nam"]; ?>">

<meta name="keywords" content="<?php echo $manufacturers_name['manufacturers_nam"]; ?>">

<?php

}

if ((basename($PHP_SELF) == FILENAME_DEFAULT) and (!isset($_GET['cPath']))) {

?>

<title><?php echo INDEX_META_TITLE; ?></title>

<meta name="description" content="<?php echo INDEX_META_DESCRIPTION; ?>"> <meta name="keywords" content="<?php echo INDEX_META_KEYWORDS; ?>"> <?php } if (isset($_GET['cPat"])) {

?>

<meta name="description" content="<?php echo $category_name['categories_nam"]; ?>">

<meta name="keywords" content="<?php echo $category_name['categories_nam"]; ?>">

<?php

}

?>

okay, i have downloaded the contribution from here http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4115

so on the index.php

All code pasted in, alas, no tags showing, it is not echoing the category title for some reason. I am using rc2 v2.2 if that makes any difference?

not sure if this is an issue

categories_name is in the categories_description table not categories table. i am not sure if this is what is represented here or not??

Archived