• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Meta Tags For Your osC Shop

toyicebear

I also added the sql file, but have nothing in my admin area to configure anything...???

INSERT INTO configuration_group (configuration_group_id, configuration_group_title, configuration_group_description, sort_order, visible) VALUES (9999,'Dynamic Meta Tag','Configuration options for the Dynamic metatag',4,1);# Affected rows: 1

INSERT INTO `configuration` (`configuration_id`, `configuration_title`, `configuration_key`, `configuration_value`, `configuration_description`, `configuration_group_id`, `sort_order`, `last_modified`, `date_added`, `use_function`, `set_function`) VALUES 
('', 'Cache options', 'D_METATAG_CACHE_OPTIONS', '0', 'Change the result cache type (reduce server load and boost speed) : 0-Off<br>1-Chemo\'s osC Advanced Cache Class (REQUIRES v1.1 or higher))<br>2-Cache to directory ', 9999, 30, '2007-02-00', '2007-02-01', NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'0\', \'1\',\'2\'),');# Affected rows: 1

INSERT INTO `configuration` (`configuration_id`, `configuration_title`, `configuration_key`, `confi[...]

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also added the sql file, but have nothing in my admin area to configure anything...???

INSERT INTO configuration_group (configuration_group_id, configuration_group_title, configuration_group_description, sort_order, visible) VALUES (9999,'Dynamic Meta Tag','Configuration options for the Dynamic metatag',4,1);# Affected rows: 1
INSERT INTO `configuration` (`configuration_id`, `configuration_title`, `configuration_key`, `configuration_value`, `configuration_description`, `configuration_group_id`, `sort_order`, `last_modified`, `date_added`, `use_function`, `set_function`) VALUES 
('', 'Cache options', 'D_METATAG_CACHE_OPTIONS', '0', 'Change the result cache type (reduce server load and boost speed) : 0-Off<br>1-Chemo\'s osC Advanced Cache Class (REQUIRES v1.1 or higher))<br>2-Cache to directory ', 9999, 30, '2007-02-00', '2007-02-01', NULL, 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'0\', \'1\',\'2\'),');# Affected rows: 1
INSERT INTO `configuration` (`configuration_id`, `configuration_title`, `configuration_key`, `confi[...]

Ask in the support tread for c-dynamic meta tags.....

I'd like to jump back to the use of meta tags and keywords for a little help and guidance.

I am getting ready to install Header Tags Controller v2.6.3 by Jack_mcs (2 April 2007) and Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1d by Chemo (7 June 2005).

I recently noticed that Jack has now released (5 April 2008) as a replacement or new version for the Header Tags Controller, called Header Tags CEO v3.0.1. Should I be using that contrib instead along with Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1c ? I am also assuming it is fine to add one contrib right after the other? Also should I add the Google Sitemap Generator and Dynamic SiteMap (v1.6 or v2.0 MOD?) at the same time?

Now for some tricky questions that I need help with...

Take a look at this page from my site - Plum Crazy , it will help with all that I am about to ask. :blush:

Model Master is a brand of Testors paints, there are both name brands - Testors & Model Masters amoung others.

I think I have the description figured out: "Model Masters Plum Crazy 3 oz spray enamel paint 2950".

But I am not sure about the keywords, was thinking: "Plum Crazy, MM/2950, Model Master, Testors". Does that sound about right?

The reason I was going to use such a combination of keywords is because as a hobbiest myself, when I Google for such items I first try - MM/2950 (the part number), then I might try Model Master 2950 or Testor 2950 or Model Master Plum Crazy or Testors Plum Crazy...

Now regarding my product description page...

The Plum Crazy MM/2950 is listed under the Model Master category. Is the information on the page which is called from the database going to be enough (Plum Crazy * & MM/2950)? Or should I actually add some of that information into the product description area?

:huh:

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

I'd like to jump back to the use of meta tags and keywords for a little help and guidance.

I am getting ready to install Header Tags Controller v2.6.3 by Jack_mcs (2 April 2007) and Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1d by Chemo (7 June 2005).

I recently noticed that Jack has now released (5 April 2008) as a replacement or new version for the Header Tags Controller, called Header Tags CEO v3.0.1. Should I be using that contrib instead along with Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1c ? I am also assuming it is fine to add one contrib right after the other? Also should I add the Google Sitemap Generator and Dynamic SiteMap (v1.6 or v2.0 MOD?) at the same time?

Now for some tricky questions that I need help with...

Take a look at this page from my site - Plum Crazy , it will help with all that I am about to ask. :blush:

Model Master is a brand of Testors paints, there are both name brands - Testors & Model Masters amoung others.

I think I have the description figured out: "Model Masters Plum Crazy 3 oz spray enamel paint 2950".

But I am not sure about the keywords, was thinking: "Plum Crazy, MM/2950, Model Master, Testors". Does that sound about right?

The reason I was going to use such a combination of keywords is because as a hobbiest myself, when I Google for such items I first try - MM/2950 (the part number), then I might try Model Master 2950 or Testor 2950 or Model Master Plum Crazy or Testors Plum Crazy...

Now regarding my product description page...

The Plum Crazy MM/2950 is listed under the Model Master category. Is the information on the page which is called from the database going to be enough (Plum Crazy * & MM/2950)? Or should I actually add some of that information into the product description area?

:huh:

The most stable ultimate seo url is 2.1d ORIGINAL updated , a slightly updated version of chemos latest version by FWR Media.

You can uninstall header tags controller and then install the new Header Tags CEO instead.

The base rule for adding meta keywords is that they should also be in the visible on page text, so if that is the case it should be ok.

The most stable ultimate seo url is 2.1d ORIGINAL updated , a slightly updated version of chemos latest version by FWR Media.

Thank you Nick ;)

I just downloaded and will use that updated version.

You can uninstall header tags controller and then install the new Header Tags CEO instead.

Again thank you! I haven't installed a version yet and was wondering which would be a better choice. CEO it is then.

The base rule for adding meta keywords is that they should also be in the visible on page text, so if that is the case it should be ok.

Still a bit fuzzy on this. :blush:

What I think you are saying is that what I have already should be fine?

Thanks again Nick :thumbsup:

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

• 2 weeks later...

Well - I just wanted to pass along a thank you. I have been trying to figure this out for weeks now and yea! I was able to install it with no problems. You actually saved me $200. I went to scriptlance to find someone to help me with this and well - someone wanted to charge me $200 to do exactly what your contribution did. LOL Maybe I should go into to scriptlance as a programmer and charge someone else that much. Just teasing....

Anyway - thank you - thank you - thank you - I love it when I can find things on this forum. Please EVERYONE keep posting! It really does help! I am learning new things everyday on how to update and edit my store!

Marlo

MarloDee Designs

www.marlodee.com/store

Dance as if No One were Watching ~ Sing as if No One were Listening ~ And Live Life everyday as if it were Your Last!

If you only want the product name to fill the metas like with the header tags auto fill function, you can actually achive that without installing any meta contrib.

It requires a very small modification of the file product_info.php

Here is how you do it....

Thats it.....now all your products will have the products name as tittle, meta description and meta keyword. (Just like if you had been using header tags and the auto fill function)

Hello

Why is it that I can not get this to work? I change all reguired.. but nothing shows...

I have also tried Jack's contribut header tags controller.. and it did not work either..

What can possible be rong since nothing works? :-(

Anyone?

Sorry.. my misstake.. it works..

:-)

• 2 weeks later...
the download button on this contribution page does not seem to work http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2895/ does anyone know what to do? thanks

Probably just a temporary connection error, just try again later....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, Been reading thru the threads and have benefit alot from it. I had also tried using the above contribution and everythings works great. I can see the description and keywords on my product page now.

Just a little problem. Why is it that my index.php page is not showing any thing under the description and keyword? Infact when i m inside admin/header_tags_edit.php?... i also dont see a part that i can add description or keyword... Please advice.

The contribute i had used is : http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...all/search,meta

Thanks a great bunch.

Hi there, Been reading thru the threads and have benefit alot from it. I had also tried using the above contribution and everythings works great. I can see the description and keywords on my product page now.

Just a little problem. Why is it that my index.php page is not showing any thing under the description and keyword? Infact when i m inside admin/header_tags_edit.php?... i also dont see a part that i can add description or keyword... Please advice.

The contribute i had used is : http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...all/search,meta

Thanks a great bunch.

Ask thw question in the support tread for the contribution/meta mod that you have used.

• 2 months later...

I've just installed the cDynamic Meta Tags v1.6 and I've got to say, it took me 10 minutes at most and worked right away. I'm just thrilled! I have almost 3000 products in my store, and I had been trying to work with Header Tags SEO, but it was so much work and changes, and would have taken me forever to get the store the way I wanted it, so I opted to try cDynamic instead. Good call for me. If you don't have many products, it doesn't matter, but for me, the ease of cDynamic was a big plus.

I'm getting category names, product names and the site name and description.

On a category page, I'm getting the category name, site name, site description

On a sub-category page: sub-category name, site name, site description

On a product page: product name, site name, site description

Now I don't know if this is just because its the way I have it initially set up, but anyway, it's good enough for jazz.

Thanks for this thread Nick, it's very helpful.

• 5 months later...

ok im not sure if i got this thing right or not so for this contribution do i just do the code changes and it will generate meta tags for my pages? Is there suppose to be some sort of tab for it in my osscommerce admin when i upload the sql file?

• 1 month later...
ok im not sure if i got this thing right or not so for this contribution do i just do the code changes and it will generate meta tags for my pages? Is there suppose to be some sort of tab for it in my osscommerce admin when i upload the sql file?

Some meta tags contributions require you to upload a sql file through phpmyadmin, while some meta tags contributions only require code changes in specified files, just read the instructions for the meta tags solution you wish to use.

• 1 month later...
If you only want the product name to fill the metas like with the header tags auto fill function, you can actually achive that without installing any meta contrib.

It requires a very small modification of the file product_info.php

Here is how you do it....

Locate this:

and replace it with this:

locate this code: (about line 72 )

now mark this code section in the file and right click and choose "cut"

then locate this pice of code at the top of the file:

Right under this you then just past inn the section you marked previously.

after you have done so it will look like this:

Thats it.....now all your products will have the products name as tittle, meta description and meta keyword. (Just like if you had been using header tags and the auto fill function)

Is there a way to do this type of fix to the categories as well?

Is there a way to do this type of fix to the categories as well?

Yes it can be done by editing index.php in much the same way....and the descriptions for how to do it is just below the one for product_info ...soo read the complete tread and you will find it

• 3 weeks later...

I did this for myself, if it helps

Adds dynamic page titles and meta info to osCommerce based on the existing breadcrumb so no extra queries.

Replace <title></title> with ..

<?php include(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'meta_info.php'); ?>

create a file called meta_info.php and place in catalog>includes.

File contains the following: -

Hi I did this but now instead my shop title is writen " My standart shop title" How do I change that my site is in bulgarian. Thanks

Hi I did this but now instead my shop title is writen " My standart shop title" How do I change that my site is in bulgarian. Thanks

You should ask in the support tread for the meta tags contributions you have used...

But usually in such a case there is a language file where you can edit that information

Οκ this is stupid but I will ask it anyway.

I have been using a contrib- which I dont remember -to fix the <title> meta (i am calling a metaqueries.php file )

I want to use meta tag controllers contrib BUT I like the title as it is now and use meta tag controller for meta tags expept <title>

Will calling 2 differet meta tag files slow my index.php and product_info.php pages ????

Οκ this is stupid but I will ask it anyway.

I have been using a contrib- which I dont remember -to fix the <title> meta (i am calling a metaqueries.php file )

I want to use meta tag controllers contrib BUT I like the title as it is now and use meta tag controller for meta tags expept <title>

Will calling 2 differet meta tag files slow my index.php and product_info.php pages ????

Depending on your hosting/server speed it might slow it down slightly.

I didn't use any contribution, I used the Robert Fischer mode.It is working for all other pages but not for the index on both languages, in english and bulgarian the index page the title is "my standart sop title" insead of the titles i put in /english/index.php and bulgarian/index.php. When I remove the <?php include(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'meta_info.php'); ?> from the main index.php is showing my titles, but then is no meta tags on my main page? Any help i dont realy need any contribiotion because my site is small, so this is fine for me. Thanks

I didn't use any contribution, I used the Robert Fischer mode.It is working for all other pages but not for the index on both languages, in english and bulgarian the index page the title is "my standart sop title" insead of the titles i put in /english/index.php and bulgarian/index.php. When I remove the <?php include(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'meta_info.php'); ?> from the main index.php is showing my titles, but then is no meta tags on my main page? Any help i dont realy need any contribiotion because my site is small, so this is fine for me. Thanks

Just use this mod instead: Easy Meta Tags

you could use anothet conrib but until then

this is the code that amplies to index.php as there is no beracrumb

if ($title == '') {
//below are hardcoded to show meta info when no breadcrumb exists
$title = 'My standard shop title';
$meta_description = 'My standard shop description';
$meta_keywords = 'My standard shop keywords';
 }
 //Display <title> and meta info
 echo '<title>' . $title . '</title>' . "\n";
 echo '<meta name="description" content="' . $meta_description . '" />' . "\n";
 echo '<meta name="keywords" content="' . $meta_keywords . '" />' . "\n";
 ?>

You can diirctly change the wording if you use just one language

or try TITLE; instead of My standard shop title and see if ti works and whatever else you want on the 2 others

Thanks, but still no working in bulgarian. If I change the words directly the meta words show if they are in english, but in bulgarian instead for example "Маркови дрехи за деца" is showing "?????? ????? ?? ????" Thank you anyway, I will take a look in the easy meta tag contribution.

• 4 weeks later...

ive just installed the cDynamic Meta Tags v1.0 add on, and ive folloed the read me installation doc. however im getting the following error in my browser when i try to load my shop

Warning: main(includes/functions/meta.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /homepages/20/d283444189/htdocs/catalog/includes/meta_tags.php on line 54

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/functions/meta.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php') in /homepages/20/d283444189/htdocs/catalog/includes/meta_tags.php on line 54

whats gone wrong?

Archived