• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Meta Tags For Your osC Shop

toyicebear

Thanks - does this mean the tip listed (the one I quoted) was to be used as part of a contrib? I thought it was an alternative to the contrib> must have missed the point altogether.

Would be great for dumbos like me to have a thread that answered the 'which contrib is best' & 'which ones work together' or even 'what total SEO package works best' for urls, meta tags, headers etc.

I have read through what feel like hundreds of pages (always exaggerating!) & am still no wiser...

Have installed header tags for novices & was going to do a Google sitemap one just in the meantime while I try to figure out the best way to go...

This thread was probably the most helpful with the 'auto or manual meta tags' question & a few other tips so thanks to all concerned.

I guess SEO is no simple topic!

SEO is far from simple, but some easy and quick mods can be done to take your site far along the way.

As far as contribs/mods go here are some needed mods.

- A meta tags solution. Don't be confused about titles like header tags and meta tags, they refer to the same so only 1 contribution is needed. Read this tread from page 1 to find info on available contribs and tips on the use of automatic or manual meta tags.

- A seo/sef url contrib. Not absolutely necessary, but can give a small edge. Read more by clicking on the seo & sef urls in my signture below.

- a sitemap

- a allproducts page

- a google xml sitemap

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SEO is far from simple, but some easy and quick mods can be done to take your site far along the way.

As far as contribs/mods go here are some needed mods.

- A meta tags solution. Don't be confused about titles like header tags and meta tags, they refer to the same so only 1 contribution is needed. Read this tread from page 1 to find info on available contribs and tips on the use of automatic or manual meta tags.

- A seo/sef url contrib. Not absolutely necessary, but can give a small edge. Read more by clicking on the seo & sef urls in my signture below.

- a sitemap

- a allproducts page

- a google xml sitemap

Thanks mate - your advice on these topics is most helpful!

A few more questions for you if you have the time...

-Is the Header tags for novices useful for good results on Google / Yahoo? It was an easy install so I did it as I thought it would be better than nothing for now while I figure it all out based on yours' & others' wisdom!

- I also installed the Dynamic Sitemap (which I have errors on the catalogue side) is this good enough for the sitemap and google xml site map or do we need one for each?

- I installed Display Product Name in Breadcrumbs (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4354/category,all/search,breadcrumb)

Is this any good or should I go for Chemo's Search engine URLs? How do I test the breadcrumb one?

-And how do I test the Dynamic Sitemap on google & the

Will do the all products contrib soon... once I figure this table error on the dynamic xml sitemap contrib

Thanks mate - your advice on these topics is most helpful!

A few more questions for you if you have the time...

-Is the Header tags for novices useful for good results on Google / Yahoo? It was an easy install so I did it as I thought it would be better than nothing for now while I figure it all out based on yours' & others' wisdom!

- I also installed the Dynamic Sitemap (which I have errors on the catalogue side) is this good enough for the sitemap and google xml site map or do we need one for each?

- I installed Display Product Name in Breadcrumbs (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4354/category,all/search,breadcrumb)

Is this any good or should I go for Chemo's Search engine URLs? How do I test the breadcrumb one?

-And how do I test the Dynamic Sitemap on google & the

Will do the all products contrib soon... once I figure this table error on the dynamic xml sitemap contrib

1. yes you can use header tags for novices

2. the main dynamic sitemap is for visitors and bots alike... but you should also have a separate google xml site map

3. the breadcrumb mod, you can see it by looking at your breadcrumb..if it showes the product name when viewing a product then you have installed it correctly.

4. you dont actually test it..if its correctly installed and you have placed a link to it it will be indexed along with all the links on it.

In regards to google xml sitemaps , for those you will have to sign up at the google webmaster central and submit the feed urls there... there you will also be able to view reports in regards to the spidering of the xml site maps.

5. You do not really need a seo url rewrite mod the standard urls gets index just fine , but installing one might give you a small extra edge.

• 2 weeks later...
Go through the install one more time and make sure you have done all the required changes.

I checked all codes and even replaced all the files from Pre-Modded-Files folder and it still shows the same result.

My site is here

Also when I check for my site from Google, my pop up product picture pages show product names while product pages themselves show just the shop name. I don't want the pop up image pages to show, how do I do that? Thanks

I checked all codes and even replaced all the files from Pre-Modded-Files folder and it still shows the same result.

My site is here

Also when I check for my site from Google, my pop up product picture pages show product names while product pages themselves show just the shop name. I don't want the pop up image pages to show, how do I do that? Thanks

the meta works for your products but not for your categories...

check the modifiaction to index.php and you can also try to turn of use search engine friendly urls in admin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

Please help me solve this problem.

The keyword I have in my web-browser title on my home page (in admin panel under store name) is coming on every single category and product page.

Even though in the admin panel I have entered in each category the 'category title meta tag' and 'category description meta tag',

but the keywords I have entered here is not appearing in the web browser title for each of the different categories. How can I make the

'category title meta tag' appear in the web browser title for each of my different categories and products?

I have looked through this long thread and if you have posted the answer then I didn't come across it. If you have already posted the answer please

can you refer me to the page number and post.

Thanks for your help

Sunny

Hi Nick,

Please help me solve this problem.

The keyword I have in my web-browser title on my home page (in admin panel under store name) is coming on every single category and product page.

Even though in the admin panel I have entered in each category the 'category title meta tag' and 'category description meta tag',

but the keywords I have entered here is not appearing in the web browser title for each of the different categories. How can I make the

'category title meta tag' appear in the web browser title for each of my different categories and products?

I have looked through this long thread and if you have posted the answer then I didn't come across it. If you have already posted the answer please

can you refer me to the page number and post.

Thanks for your help

Sunny

To be able to answer that i need to know which meta tags contribution you have used and the url to your shop..

Also this is not a support tread as such, its an info tread on different meta tags contributions.

The best place to ask and get the correct answer would be in the support tread for the meta tags contribution you are using.

• 1 month later...

Hello just installed this and its working flawlessly.

Though i have a few ummm u know, err moving on.

Using the OPTION #2 of this addon where its automatically done & the ability to edit the meta tags and description.

I did this setup : cDynamic Meta Tags v1.6 for osCommerce-MS2

Now the following i need help with please.

The product description has a limit to it :( **Anyway i can make the product description customized for products.

Page title also has a limit, wishing to increase this with a default line attached to every page title. *Example, logitech-EXTRA DEFAULT LINE.

Hope i make sense and get support please. Thankyou

Hello just installed this and its working flawlessly.

Though i have a few ummm u know, err moving on.

Using the OPTION #2 of this addon where its automatically done & the ability to edit the meta tags and description.

I did this setup : cDynamic Meta Tags v1.6 for osCommerce-MS2

Now the following i need help with please.

The product description has a limit to it :( **Anyway i can make the product description customized for products.

Page title also has a limit, wishing to increase this with a default line attached to every page title. *Example, logitech-EXTRA DEFAULT LINE.

Hope i make sense and get support please. Thankyou

You should ask in the support tread for cDynamic Meta Tags

I have downloaded this contribution and cannot find the instructions on how to install and everything else that goes with it. Please advise with this information. I am using an osC template and want to optimize the site.

Joe

Which contribution and which version is it you have downloaded?

Basic Meta Tags 1.1 is installed by simply overwriting the file sin your shop with the file included in the contrib. (basically meant for "virgin" oscommerce shops)

If you have a template based shop or a very modified shop, then i suggest you use Easy Meta Tags instead.

There is still no instructions on how to install the contribution and how to make it work.

Please provide some directions, keeping in mind that some of us are still learing.

Thanks

Joe

Basic Meta tags have instructions included in the download and it is just to copy over the files to your shop overwriting the original ones there with the same names.

Easy Meta tags also have instructions included in the download, and they are just some simple cut and past operations required for the mentioned files in the the readme/instructions included.

Basic Meta tags have instructions included in the download and it is just to copy over the files to your shop overwriting the original ones there with the same names.

Easy Meta tags also have instructions included in the download, and they are just some simple cut and past operations required for the mentioned files in the the readme/instructions included.

I installed the Easy meta tags. I have osCommerce 2.1, surely ths will work with this version?

Do I need to add descriptions and keywords anywhere?

Joe

I installed the Easy meta tags. I have osCommerce 2.1, surely ths will work with this version?

Do I need to add descriptions and keywords anywhere?

Joe

If you use a easy meta tags version lower than v1.2 then no..

If you use a easy meta tags version higher than v1.3 then yes, then you can add the default meta tags in the main language file...ie. for english that would be...

includes/languages/english.php

There are instructions files included in the downloads packages

If you use a easy meta tags version lower than v1.2 then no..

If you use a easy meta tags version higher than v1.3 then yes, then you can add the default meta tags in the main language file...ie. for english that would be...

includes/languages/english.php

There are instructions files included in the downloads packages

Thanks, where exactly in the code would I put this? I'm new to php.

Joe

Thanks, where exactly in the code would I put this? I'm new to php.

Joe

Read the instruction files included in the downloaded contributions.

Easy Meta Tags support tread...

Read the instruction files included in the downloaded contributions.

Easy Meta Tags support tread...

I did read the instructions dude. The following part is where I am unsure:

3. In your language file(s) add this code before the final ?>: (For english that would be in this file includes/languages/english.php)

define('DEFAULT_META_TITLE', 'your meta title');

define('DEFAULT_META_DESCRIPTION', 'your meta descriptin');

define('DEFAULT_META_KEYWORDS', 'your meta keywords');

where in the english.php file do I place these define codings, or does it matter?

Joe

I did read the instructions dude. The following part is where I am unsure:

3. In your language file(s) add this code before the final ?>: (For english that would be in this file includes/languages/english.php)

define('DEFAULT_META_TITLE', 'your meta title');

define('DEFAULT_META_DESCRIPTION', 'your meta descriptin');

define('DEFAULT_META_KEYWORDS', 'your meta keywords');

where in the english.php file do I place these define codings, or does it matter?

Joe

it does not mather aslong as its before the ending ?>

• 2 weeks later...
it does not mather aslong as its before the ending ?>

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but my site loads really slow. How do I fix this?

Also, I submit the url to yahoo and it says that the domain name doesn't exist. Please review the site to understand. www.jandjgourmet.com. how do I fix this as well.

Joe

• 1 month later...

I've use cDynamic, and configured it according to the directions. I am still not seeing any meta tags on any page. the site is www.hapkidogear.com

here is my meta_tags.php:

<?php
/*=======================================================================*\
|| #################### //-- SCRIPT INFO --// ########################### ||
|| #	Script name: meta_tags.php									  # ||
|| #	Contribution: cDynamic Meta Tags								# ||
|| #	Version: 1.3													# ||
|| #	Date: April 15 2005											 # ||
|| # ------------------------------------------------------------------ # ||
|| #################### //-- COPYRIGHT INFO --// ######################## ||
|| #	Copyright (C) 2005 Chris LaRocque								# ||
|| #																	# ||
|| #	This script is free software; you can redistribute it and/or	# ||
|| #	modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License		# ||
|| #	as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2	# ||
|| #	of the License, or (at your option) any later version.			# ||
|| #	This script is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,	# ||
|| #	but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of	# ||
|| #	MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the	# ||
|| #	GNU General Public License for more details.					# ||
|| #	Script is intended to be used with:								# ||
|| #	osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions					# ||
|| #	http://www.oscommerce.com										# ||
|| #	Copyright (c) 2003 osCommerce									# ||
|| ###################################################################### ||
\*========================================================================*/

############################################################################
# USER SETTINGS															 #
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------#	
# If you want to cache the results (reduce server load and boost speed)
// for version 1.6 : moved to admin  - $cache_type = 0; # number only, no ' or "
$cache_type = D_METATAG_CACHE_OPTIONS; # number only, no ' or "
#  0 (zero) = off
#  1 = Use Chemo's osC Advanced Cache Class **REQUIRES v1.1 or higher**
#  2 = Cache to directory ** MUST specify $meta_cache_path **

# If using Cache Class set lifetime of cache:
// for version 1.6 : moved to admin  -  $expires = '30/days'; # only valid if $cache_type = 1
$expires = D_METATAG_CHEMO_LIFETIME; # only valid if $cache_type = 1

# only valid if $cache_type = 2
# must have read-write permissions
# specified in admin/includes/reset/meta_tags.php (if you changed it) MUST HAVE READ/WRITE CHMOD to 777
// for version 1.6 : $meta_cache_files_path = DIR_FS_CATALOG.'cache/'; #this should work for most
$meta_cache_files_path = DIR_FS_CATALOG . DIR_FS_CACHE; #this should work for most   , modifialbe in admin

# Show Model in Title
// for version 1.6 : moved to admin  -$show_model_in_title = false;  # no ' or "
$show_model_in_title = D_METATAG_SHOW_MODEL_INTITLE;  # no ' or "
#  true or false

# Show Manufacturer in Title
// for version 1.6 : moved to admin  -$show_man_in_title = false;  # no ' or "
$show_man_in_title = D_METATAG_SHOW_MANUF_INTITLE;  # no ' or "
#  true or false

# Enter y=text to be removed from Manufacturers when using them for keywords
# enter in all lower case
$strip_man_array = array('inc.','co.','inc'); 

# Pages to use HEADING_TITLE for title
# Do not list pages w/ specific meta tags: (index.php, product_info.php, specials.php, products_new.php)
// for version 1.6 : moved to admin  -$heading_pages = array('contact_us.php', 'product_reviews.php');
$heading_pages = array(D_METATAG_EXTRA_PAGES);

#---------------------------------------------------------------------------#
# Define specific meta tags by entering the value between the '':

# For all pages using meta_tags:
define('HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL','Hapkido Gear Online Store'); # Title
define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_ALL','Hapkido Gear for Hapkido, Tae Kwon Do & MMA'); # Description
define('HEAD_KEY_TAG_ALL','Hapkido gear, Hapkido, Hapkido Gear, Hapkido training equipment, Hapkido, equipment, Martial arts, Martial art equipment, Martial arts supply, Taekwondo, Taekwondo equipment, Karate, Karate Supplies, Century, Macho, Golden Tiger, judo, jujitsu, kung fu, tai chi'); # Keywords

# For default index page (no products or categories)
define('HEAD_TITLE_TAG_INDEX','HapkidoGear.Com Online Store'); # Title
define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_INDEX','Gear for Hapkido, Tae Kwon Do & MMA'); # Description
define('HEAD_KEY_TAG_INDEX','Hapkido gear, Hapkido, Hapkido Gear, Hapkido training equipment, Hapkido, equipment, Martial arts, Martial art equipment, Martial arts supply, Taekwondo, Taekwondo equipment, Karate, Karate Supplies, Century, Macho, Golden Tiger, judo, jujitsu, kung fu, tai chi'); # Keywords

// Removed from admin to language:
define('STORE_DESCRIPT','Dan Paulson's HapkidoGear.Com Online Store'); # Store Description
define('STORE_METDEX','Gear for Hapkido, Tae Kwon Do & MMA'); # Store Index Description ,Place a seperate index page meta description here, for use with dynamic meta-tags
define('STORE_KEYWORD','Hapkido gear, Hapkido, Hapkido Gear, Hapkido training equipment, Hapkido, equipment, Martial arts, Martial art equipment, Martial arts supply, Taekwondo, Taekwondo equipment, Karate, Karate Supplies, Century, Macho, Golden Tiger, judo, jujitsu, kung fu, tai chi'); # Store Key Words :  Place your sites meta key words here, for use with dynamic meta-tags

?>									

<

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Archived