• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Make it easier for us No-Brainers, pleeeez?

I have a small business with a need for eCommerce. I am computer literate but certainly lack the rooted understanding required to fully implement what I need through the OS community. Now I applaud all of your tireless efforts but my main concern is that, for a newbie, all of this (jargon, acronyms, etc.) is totally over my skull unless I spend countless hours pouring through books and cross-referencing PDF files trying to figure out how to "put it all together." I think more people would jump at the chance to use osCommerce if it could be knocked down just a notch with regard to all of the technical whizzbangery. To me most of this is pretty daunting...but I do have hope.

My one suggestion is to make this veeerry sssiiimpple for us eCommerce/osCommerce challenged people. Maybe some more tutorials bathed in images complete with "Dr. Suess level" language. I feel like I am continually walking into a movie theatre midway through a film asking people "what did I miss?"

I know I must live under a rock but when did I miss the class on:

What is php? What is your SQL or MySQL or their SQL? etc etc etc......aaaaaahhhhhh!!!

Any help would greatly be appreciated. dave

I have a small business with a need for eCommerce. I am computer literate but certainly lack the rooted understanding required to fully implement what I need through the OS community. Now I applaud all of your tireless efforts but my main concern is that, for a newbie, all of this (jargon, acronyms, etc.) is totally over my skull unless I spend countless hours pouring through books and cross-referencing PDF files trying to figure out how to "put it all together." I think more people would jump at the chance to use osCommerce if it could be knocked down just a notch with regard to all of the technical whizzbangery. To me most of this is pretty daunting...but I do have hope.

My one suggestion is to make this veeerry sssiiimpple for us eCommerce/osCommerce challenged people. Maybe some more tutorials bathed in images complete with "Dr. Suess level" language. I feel like I am continually walking into a movie theatre midway through a film asking people "what did I miss?"

I know I must live under a rock but when did I miss the class on:

What is php? What is your SQL or MySQL or their SQL? etc etc etc......aaaaaahhhhhh!!!

Any help would greatly be appreciated. dave

Google is your friend!!!

While osC does have a learning curve installing and running it is not brain surgery. It will however take some learning on your part if you want to do things yourself. It may sound harsh but if you do not have the time to learn then you may need to pay someone to do the work for you. Most people that try and help post explanations as simply as possible but you are going to need to do some learning to understand what they are saying. No way around it!!

It is kind of like your car. You can get a manual and figure out how to fix it yourself if you have the time and energy or you take it down the street and pay a mechanic to fix it for you. You have to balance the time needed to learn how to do it yourself against the cost of paying someone to do it for you and make a decision what is best for you.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

apart of the osc resources you could check few basic tutorials on php.net

http://www.php.net/manual/en/tutorial.firstpage.php

Hey, thanks for the info. It's been getting a little bit better since I posted. I do have an ebay store; eBay is great but is kind of regemented with all kinds of rules and limitations in order to maintain a certain uniformity amongst the users...understandable.

I'm certainly not one for giving up on this...I hate paying people to do something I can eventually learn and do myself...as long as my ADD doesn't keep me in the clouds.

Thanks again,

just dave

It is kind of like your car. You can get a manual and figure out how to fix it yourself if you have the time and energy or you take it down the street and pay a mechanic to fix it for you. You have to balance the time needed to learn how to do it yourself against the cost of paying someone to do it for you and make a decision what is best for you.

This is a great analogy. To take it further, imagine you called up your mechanic and asked him/her how to do something. Chances are (if they are even willing to help you ;) ) that they will explain how to do it in technical terms. The reason is not that they're trying to talk over your head, but that many technical terms simply do not translate into something like layman's terms without becoming vague and unuseful. Imagine trying to explain how a car works without using technical terms. It's difficult to give a detailed answer to technical questions without using technical terms.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

i agree with that kgt.

also, if you are stuck on a feature and can't figure it out after searching the forums or reading the knowledgebase, you can usually start a topic here or head into the support topic for the contribution (if it's a contribution you're stuck on) and eventually you'll run into somebody that can explain it in easier terms or basically walk you through it (that's from my experience anyway.) if it wasn't for the helpful people on these forums i wouldn't have gotten as far with my shop as i have.

usually, if i come across somebody's problem that i've had (i'm still a newbie myself) i will explain it in dummy terms.. i don't know any technical stuff either :P

Interesting discussion. I've often wondered myself about some of the answers. I literally would have to be up around the clock to run my business and trying to delve into all sorts of tutorials, etc. It's just me, no employees and thankfully doing quite well, however I have no time or, frankly, desire to learn all this.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately depending on your pov), my web site was set up using oscommerce and I'm rather stuck with it now. I've learned the basics to fulfill orders, add products and make a few changes here and there.

It is a bit annoying when you (I) ask a question and get an answer that is a) either written in a foreign (to me) language or B) directs me to another post which, again, makes no sense whatsoever. If there's no quick and easy fix, I'd rather know it upfront. Answers such as "if I had access to your site, I could do such and such in 10 seconds" are a bit self-righteous and are of no help at all.

For those of us who are new, it would be wonderful to not talk down to us as many (no doubt, not meaning to do - but it comes across as such). Better not to comment at all. I have no desire to become a progammer as I have a business to run.

Sorry for the rant, one of those days....

The best way to get your questions answered in a way you will understand and that will make sense to you is to be as specific in your question as you can be, post any relivant errors or codes and explain upfront that you need simple answers.

I try my very best to explain things as easily as I can and most of the other people who help do as well... but as the others have said, sometimes it is impossible to not throw some code at an answer and not have it look like jibberish to someone who doesn't know coding. Heck basic html looked like jibberish to be for the longest time so I know what it's like to see something and not understand it. : )

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

The best way to get your questions answered in a way you will understand and that will make sense to you is to be as specific in your question as you can be, post any relivant errors or codes and explain upfront that you need simple answers.

Vague questions will usually get you vague answers. Keep in mind that if you ask an open-ended question, it would take a lot of someone's time to provide any sort of exhaustive solution. I don't think you can fault anyone for declining to do that. Also, certain questions require less time to answer. The less time your question requires, the more likely it will be answered. Posts that ask for an explanation of how something works require less time than a post asking someone to identify a syntax error. Answering in essay format requires more time than answering a multiple choice question.

Nobody means to ask a vague question - they just don't know how to provide a detailed one. The end result is still the same though. Even asking for a clarification requires time on a responder's part to coax the correct information out of someone. Just as many shop-owners don't have the time to learn as much as they should/would like to, many programmers don't have the time to provide detailed answers, or guide someone through steps which are already available elsewhere. No one gets paid to post here, so time spent here can be viewed as dollars lost. It can become very difficult to justify that time. I usually figure it's better to give a hint (in the form of a link to other posts or documentation) than nothing at all when I don't have the time to describe the answer in detail.

Another problem is that there are a lot of issues for which the answer is not straighforward - like permissions problems. I've seen a lot of people overwhelmed with permissions issues, not knowing how to deal with them. The problem is, it can be next to impossible to answer questions for sure without knowing the exact server configuration. A lot of answers depend on your exact web hosting environment. No one's being vague if they don't answer your question, or they skirt around it. The truth is, 90% of the time, there are multiple answers to one question.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

Archived