• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie - Question regarding customer username

jeverhart

It appears that when acustomer creates their account, they are prompted for email and password. Does this mean that the email address is, in essence, the username? Or is there a way to have a username be something other than an email address? Having an email address as the username seems illogical to me since email addresses are prone to change and since they may be suceptible to spambots.

I am sure I am missing something basic here. Any tips?

It appears that when acustomer creates their account, they are prompted for email and password. Does this mean that the email address is, in essence, the username? Or is there a way to have a username be something other than an email address? Having an email address as the username seems illogical to me since email addresses are prone to change and since they may be suceptible to spambots.

I am sure I am missing something basic here. Any tips?

By default usernames are email addresses. Unless you share your customers email addresses with others it is not likely the use of the email address as a username would cause customers to get spam.

People can change their usernames or create new acounts if their address changes.

It seems like a good system to me as all email addresses are unique and most people can remember what it is.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Archived