• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Register Globals - Vger patch

Becki

Hi,

I have been reading alot of the topics and it seems the register globals problem occurs alot. I changed my files to 'ON' to get round the problem when first installing xampp etc - I'm using a localhost setup.

My question is that it seems lots of 'live servers' have register globals set to off. I should be installing the patch from the start right to stop any future troubles? I haven't commenced installation yet.

Also, the patch by Vger - i've just had a look at it and i presume it is a full set of oscommerce files, i.e i can delete my catalog folder i was going to use for installation and just use the catalog folder from the patch download? Is this correct.

Is there any other patches/fixes i should use from the start to stop any possible problems if i ever get a site suitable to upload?!

Many Thanks

Look forward to reading your opinions

Also, the patch by Vger - i've just had a look at it and i presume it is a full set of oscommerce files, i.e i can delete my catalog folder i was going to use for installation and just use the catalog folder from the patch download? Is this correct.

No it isn't!

The only files within that catalog are the ones that have been altered. It is in a catalog folder and following folders, just to show you the path to where the files that need replacing are. If you look in the patch catalog folder and the other folders within, it might strike you that there isn't that many files, 10 I think, as to be a complete OSC application.

Hi,

Yes i had realised that there was only 10files or so after i posted and forgot to admit my error - thansk for confirming though!

OK, i'm now confused as to whether I should install the patch now (i've already installed the site locally) or just see if any problems occur when i go live. If the server has register globals set to 'on' is this goin to cause a bigger problem if i have the patch installed or is the bigger problem going to be if the server has them off and the patch isnt installed.

I have read a few topics and they make it sound that installing the patch once live is difficult - is this true?

In the light that i presume you can't ask the server to turn them off I should probably wait to see which server i upload to, although is it the case that most have them off!?

Thanks again for your help.

Archived