• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Taxable and Non Taxable Product Modification

Metatron

Hello everybody.

A question regarding changing a catalogs taxable status.

Is it possible to have say for example 5000 products that were entered into your catalog as non-taxable items and then change them all at once to taxable products- so that the gross price you had entered before then became the gross taxable price?

Or would you have to manually edit every single product, aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!? :o

The reason I am interested is because I am building a UK based web store and am not currently VAT registered but hope to be in the future. So my dilemma is do I just list the products now as containing VAT(not sure if this is legal) or leave it until I am VAT registered then change all my products to taxable. :blink:

yes you use sql queries to alter the setting of an entire column. In your case the products_tax_class_id

Thanks for your reply Enigma.

I have thought of another solution but am not sure on how to implement.

If I list my products as taxable from the start when i list them in the catalog all I need to do is just hide the tax in the 'Order Confirmation' page and this should then be invisible to the user.

I have edited line 160 of catalog/checkout_confirmation.php from:

<td class="smallText" align="right"><b><?php echo HEADING_TAX; ?></b></td>

to:

<td class="smallText" align="right"><b><?php /* echo HEADING_TAX; */ ?></b></td>

Thus commenting out echo HEADING_TAX;

However the tax still shows up in the 'Order Confirmation' page.

Am I editing the right file? :blink:

no that doesn't come from there. You would have to hack the total modules and it's not a good way. Try with an sql query it's much easier

update products set products_tax_class_id = 1

no that doesn't come from there. You would have to hack the total modules and it's not a good way. Try with an sql query it's much easier

update products set products_tax_class_id = 1

I can see how using an SQL query is easier but how all I need to do is I hide the tax in checkout_confirmation.php any ideas on what I have to edit?

It currently displays: (taking a product at ?19.99 as an example)

Sub-Total: ?19.99

Flat Rate (Best Way): ?0.00

UK [email protected]%: ?2.98 //I need to hide this line.

Total: ?19.99

try setting the osc Admin->Modules->Order Total->Tax set the order display tax to false.

Good Man! Thankyou for taking the time to answer my question. Staring me in the face all along! :thumbsup:

Archived