• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

pictures of personally owned items

JavaReb

Lets say you want to create a photo album with a certain theme. You have hundreds of photos youve saved from places on the web like message forums. None of the images are copyrighted, but simply personal photos that have been uploaded by individuals etc. Things like firearms or dirt bikes or 4x4's are personal items. What is the possiblity of using these images without having to track down and contact each owner individually ?

it boils down to personal preference.

many will say "if you didn't upload it, it's not yours" but many others will say the internet is a public domain and once you post it, anyone's free to grab it

in my personal opinion, as long as you post somewhere on your site that you didn't originally take or upload the pictures and offer a way for the real owners to remove their photos (such as an email contact form so they can inform you they want something removed) you should be free to do what you want

after all, google, msn and yahoo do the same thing with their images search ;)

Lets say you want to create a photo album with a certain theme. You have hundreds of photos youve saved from places on the web like message forums. None of the images are copyrighted, but simply personal photos that have been uploaded by individuals etc. Things like firearms or dirt bikes or 4x4's are personal items. What is the possiblity of using these images without having to track down and contact each owner individually ?

Randal,

If you take a picture, draw/paint/whatever a picture, write some words, etc., they are default copyrighted to you. At least in America. You do not need to place a copyright notice on the work. Those images are copyrighted.

I have had people contact me and ask permission to copy an image from my web site and use on theirs. I've granted that permission. I have also found my images on other people's web sites. I haven't pursued the issue.

ed

Randal,

If you take a picture, draw/paint/whatever a picture, write some words, etc., they are default copyrighted to you. At least in America. You do not need to place a copyright notice on the work. Those images are copyrighted.

I have had people contact me and ask permission to copy an image from my web site and use on theirs. I've granted that permission. I have also found my images on other people's web sites. I haven't pursued the issue.

ed

The same applies in the UK as the US and I believe any country that has signed up for the international copyright conventions.

For something NOT to be copyright there has to be a statement BY the copyright holder that the rights are waived.

Posting something on the internet does not give anyone the right to steal it.

john

Archived